Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP assignment problem with Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless AP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailorBoy340

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2004
CA
Hello,
I recently purchased a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router and an SMC2635W-CA wirless PCMCIA card for my laptop. I have one PC connected to the router with Cat5 and the Laptop connected via wireless. I am using an RCA cable modem to connect to the internet. My problem is that if I power down the laptop for an extended period, say overnight, then when I power it back up it gets assigned the wrong IP address (164.xxx.xxx.xxx) by the BEFW11S4 Linksys router. I have to power down the router and the laptop, and then power up the router and lastly the laptop to get the proper IP assigned to it (192.168.0.101). I have the router configured to only allow one MAC address to connect via wireless (my laptop). I downloaded the updated drivers from the SMC website and flashed the router with the latest firmware. This only happens on the wireless side of the router. The PC connected via Cat5 never has this problem. Has anyone seen this problem before and maybe have a reason why it happens or better yet know how to stop it from happening.
Thanks.

sailorboy340,

hi!..well it seems that you're having some problems with the TCP/ip of the adapter that youre using...would you like to try and use or set the adapter that you have to static IP? So that even when you turned off the computer overnight, the next morning youd still have the same IP address...

1. go to the routers set up page (do this when the computer is working on the internet)...launch the internet explorer...type on the address bar... by default....username--leave it blank and for the password type in--admin. On the Linksys Set Up page...look for the status tab and copy the DNS numbers (sometimes 2 0r 3 sets)

2. set the following values on the TCP/IP of the card that youre using..(procedures depends on the operating system)...IP-192.168.1.XX..(XX-ranging from 2-99)...SM-255.255.255.0...default gateway--192.168.1.1...and then just type in the DNS numbers...

just try and see if this one will work...[ponytails]

"imagination is more important than knowledge."

Hi Sailorboy340,

I am having the same problem. I downloaded the lastest firmware 1.50 for the router which seems to have made the problem worse. I have tried to use a static ipaddress on the wireless connection but to no avail. Even when I physically connect to the router with a network cable I can not get the proper ip address after powering down the laptop. I have to reset the router before I get the correct ip address.

I am very interested in finding a solution. Is this just buggy Linksys or is there some logical explanation for this?

Thanks in advance.

Got a similar problem with my BEFW11S4 also. Had a wired connection and 1 laptop connection working fine. When I tried to add a second desktop with a wireless connection I couldn't get a valid DHCP IP address. Like you my NIC was getting something starting 164 with a 255.255.0.0 netmask.

I checked the router and could see both wireless NIC's MAC addresses, but it was only serviing 1 DHCP IP address.

I reset the router to default settings and tried again. This time the desktop got a DHCP IP address, the laptop couldn't! I also tried a fixed IP network. Almost worked but the second wireless device would not keep a stable connection. (and after a while wouldn't connect at all).

At a bit of a loss as to what to do. May try a firmware upgrade and a tech support call. Very annoying on what otherwise has been a fine peice of kit for me.

Still not got this working. Have tried 2 cards in my laptop now and both got working DHCP IP addresses immediately. But still no joy with the PCI wireless card on my desktop. Think that may be buggy and will be trying another card and checking we can network 2 wireless laptops ok simultaneously.

Have had no technical solutions or advice from anyone. A linksys support call wasn't all that supportive :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back