Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Adress Problem sharing internet connection over 2 wireless networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman070578

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2002
GB
I am sharing a neighbours internet connection over a wireless network. I don't want all my network traffic to go over the wireless network - I just need to be able to route all my internet traffic over the wireless network.

My Neightbours side:

Speedtouch Router (IP 10.x.x.x, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0) .....with one PC connected and a wireless access point)

My side:

Linksys Access Point Client, connected to a switch with 3 PC's connected.

Can someone please help me by suggesting an IP address range and subnet mask for my network so not all my network traffic goes over the wireless network....just the internet traffic - thanks!

d.philpin@dewisant.pembroke.sch.uk

Hi madman070578,

you can specify any private IP you like: i'd suggest the typical 192.168.x.x / 255.255.255.0

can you supply a network schematic please...I'm not sure I've understood your setup correctly: is it this?
e.g.
[tt]
(neighbour)
ROUTER --- PC
|
WAP
***** wireless
***** (your side)
WAP (linksys)
|
SWITCH --- PCs
[/tt]

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Marc,

That is nearly correct - I have just got a hub insead of the switch....

so....

(neighbour)
ROUTER --- PC
|
WAP (linksys)
***** wireless
(my side)
WAP (linksys)
|
HUB --- PCs

What I am concerned about is all network traffic will go over the wireless network.....instead of just the internet traffic....

Dean

with this setup, local traffic will not be broadcast over the AP. The linksys should only broadcast external requests (assuming it works as intended...they don't always - sometimes a firmware update is required.)

The only problem you may find is that you're effectively operating a network bridge - not an AP. You may need a different product - but if it works - hey, why worry?!

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Marc,

I have one Accezss Point Set aup as a normal Access Point, and the other Set up as a Access Point Client... hope it will work!

So I would allocate IP's of 192.168.x.x on both sides of the network?

192.168.x.x. is a narrower scope than 10.x.x.x, but in practice it usually makes no difference...but as always, convention dictates :)

ensure that you use a seperate subnet than your neighbour: e.g. 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x.

So....this will this work......

ROUTER (192.168.0.1)--- PC (192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254)
|
WAP (linksys)(192.168.1.1)
***** wireless
(my side)
WAP (linksys) (192.168.2.1)
|
HUB --- PCs (192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.254)

When I set my PC's IP to 192.168.2.1, I couldn't ping my neightbours PC (192.168.1.2).

When I have it set up, will my side of the network be able to access the router on his side? (I have set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.224)

Thanks again Marc!

On a hub?

I am concerned that you are trying, through a bridge, to access as an internet Gateway a device through a local Gateway, that are now on two different network segments.

I see no clean resolution of this without a routing device added somewhere.

That would work better.
It would isolate all your local lan traffic from the WAP/bridge device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back