Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP adress and differents passwords ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twomoredays

Technical User
Feb 4, 2003
NL
Im have just packed ot a PIX VPN/FW, and will set up for 3-4 users to log in to firm. The users not will be able to change IP adress in client program themselves.

1. I understand they need a static IP adress.
2. I undestand one solution could be to use a dynamic DNS provider and use domain log-in instead ?
3. Is it any other solution, with dynamic IP adress ?

Also I understand they all need to use the same password ?
Or to use differents password they need a RAS?? Radius?? server ? Is it possible to set up this kind of server another place ??

All answars welcome

Best regards
TwoMoreDays

Hi,

You can setup your pix firwall as a VPN server and have the users use Cisco's VPN client to login. An example would be the users dial in to their ISP and from there they use the vpn client to connect to the PIX. Here you can have the PIX provide dynamic ip address for your clients for Tunnel or they can have their own address.

In PIX you can create groups and passwords, for a group->Password has to be the same. Create different groups, you can have different credentials. Now that is the VPN part.

For authentication, you can use as you mentioned Radius, Windows anything..

Cheers,
Rajesh

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Best regards
TwoMoreDays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back