Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP ADDRESSES 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINDOWSGUY

Programmer
Apr 11, 2002
CA
TELL ME WHAT IP ADDRESS DO I ASSIGN TO MY NIC CARD THAT IS CONNECTED TO MY CABLE(ISP PROVIDER)? WOULD MY DOMAIN NAME BE ASSIGNED THAT IP ADDRESS? ALSO MY ISP PROVIDER ASSIGNS ME A DYNAMIC IP ADDRESS - WOULD MY "DNS" NAME HAVE THE SAME IP ADDRESS?
HELP

Are you doiling out IP address or is you ISP?

Who is doing DHCP?

Are you talking Windows 2000 server or Professional?

bob

"ZOINKS !!!!!"

Shaggy

If your ISP is dynamically asigning the IP address to the NIC should not have to do anything else.

Go the the command prompt and run ipconfig /all and post that information here.

hi:
It is the ISP that is assiging me the IP address.ISP is handling the DCHP AND I HAVE WINDOWS 2K SERVER.

Then you don't have to do a thing

bob

"ZOINKS !!!!!"

Shaggy

ok - so what do i do - i have 9 web sites i want to create and host on my win 2k server. I need to configure my "DNS" SERVER so it can be available on the internet for the general public. I have 1 IP address and using HOST NAMES to create my web sites. SO how do i configure my "DNS" server?

Your ISP should be hosting your main DNS. If you load up DNS on your server it should reach out and register your server with thier DNS then you set it to foward - create a reverse look-up so names can be aligned with IP addresses and load up IIS

anything else I missed

bob

"ZOINKS !!!!!"

Shaggy

thanks bob! one more point - each of my web sites (9) - do i have to add the 9 hosts to my DNS server- forward zones?
What IP address should be used? I will be using host headers to distinguish each web site. That IP address
is the one that my ISP assigned me? or should i use my ISP
IP ADDRESS?

You should have 2 IP Address

one external given by your ISP (Placed in the foward lookup zone of DNS) Something like 145.145.145.2

and a internal IP address that you create such as the standard 192.172.1.7 (placed in the reverse lookup zone)

this way when a customer wants to go the web site he would type in

of you 9 web sites

or

of your 9 web sites

make sure you configure IIS properly and run the diagnostic tools to ensure DNS is set up correctly.

And if you have a router and a firewall ensure they are correct.

bob

"ZOINKS !!!!!"

Shaggy

If I understand your problem.
You have an ISP who gives you a DHCP address, you have a domain name you want to have available on the Internet.
You will either need to have your ISP add your domain to their Dynamic DNS or get a static IP address and register it with the authority who gave you your domain thus putting the address in a higher level DNS.

thanks - one more point - do i have to register each web site on a DNS server? or just each IP address? how does server know which of the web site to return to the client? since only the IP address is registered on the DNS server? and many web sites are using the same IP address - that is why i ask the question where do i register each of the web sites? I am using host header to distinguish each web site, all using the same IP address/DNS name.

rphips has answered your question.
The servershould have 2*Nic, internall & External and DNS should be AD Intergrated.

If you are hosting 9 websites, you will need 9 different real world IP addresses. Your DNS's will then point that name to each of your websites.

DNS

relays to 67.85.95.50 (these are just bogus number that i drew from air, i have no idea what website this is)
relays to 67.85.95.51
relays to 67.85.95.52

U get the idea. When you registered the domain names, you have to tell them, first of all who is you dns. If you are doing them yourself or if your provider is doing them for you. Still you would have to tell your provider to point the dns to your particular ip. If you only have one external IP then you could only host 1 website. If not u have to purchase extra ips.

Hope this helps.

Eddie Fernandez
CCNA, Network+, A+, MCP

i though one could host many sites using 1 IP address - and using ether different port numbers or using host headers for each different site? am I right?

Assuming you have all the sites in one domain, you could use redirection to the web sites it contains. The DNS entry is for the domain. The sites are qualified in the address by either a port number or an extended URL with the higher level part of the address the DNS to your domain and the remaining part the qualifier to your sites within the domain.

SO YOU AR WESAYING I NEED NOT ENTER WEB SITES ON MY DNS SERVER - JUST MY DOMAIN NAME?
AM I RIGHT?

Your ISP has a DNS server that lists your domain (IP address), your DNS server lists your web sites. It is a hierarchical structure. The master DNS knows how to find your ISP, your ISP knows how to find you, you know how to find your web sites. I hope I am being clear.

if i have a router(firewall) betwwen my web server/dns server and the internet, what IP address would i assign my web site and what IP address would i configure on my DNS server? I understand that my router would be assigned an IP address and the router would assign my webserver/Dns server an internal IP address. If i create web sites on my web server and configure my DNS server behind my router - so i would have to forward to my router and from there to the ISP provider's DNS server then to the internet-is that right?

I am amazed at some of the answers on this topic.
If you only want to house web sites and will not have any dial-up or networked PCs a DHCP is not needed. You will of course need a (one NOT several) static public IP address. This static IP will be used to register your domain name. You need to set up your DNS and IIS with this IP address. All other website are registered with the same IP address DNS and IIS will do the translation. Your DNS will need to include each web site with a host and a cname make sure you create a reverse name lookup.
If you have a Linksys router you set it up just as the booklet tells you to and it will work like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back