Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Address Reference goes to External DNS Info......

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtanner01

Technical User
Nov 20, 2001
CA
HI There,

Occassionally some of our Windows 2000 Pro boxes endup resolving our ExchangeServers name to the External IP Address. We are setup with two DNS Servers to be checked first then the systems looks to an External DNS for resolution.

Has anyone else seen this or have any suggestions as to how to avoid this?

Thanks,
M. Tanner

Your clients are being assigned internal and external DNS Servers?

Your internal DNS servers should be set up to forward requests that it can't resolve to external DNS servers. Neither your clients or your DNS servers should be assigned any external DNS servers. Is this how you have it set up?

ChrisP

Well I did not setup the DNS configuration, as there is a Windows NT 4.0 server still in the loop that needs to be removed. But after reviewing it you are correct that our DHCP server points to our two internal DNS servers then to two servers in the outside world? Is that my problem? How can I get it fixed?

Note: this WinNT4 box is being removed from our system in two weeks and the DHCP will be reconfigured on the Windows2000 domain.

M.Tanner

Have your dhcp server assign internal dns to clients and your dns server to fwd requests it cant resolve to outside dns. 01110000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back