Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Address on XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzfive03

Programmer
Jun 11, 2001
Hello All, i am not a network person so this may not be possibel. Can someone tell me if it is:

Can i have a Windows XP machine, that IS NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERENT and have it assing some hard coded IP address.

When i try this, and do a ipconfig, i get a "media disconnected". All i want is to have my winxp box have its own IP, without being connnected to a network. (This is a laptop, and i need to resolve an ip for some stand alone software i am working on)

Thank you for any help.

Are you looking to set up a static IP? If you are just go into the TCP/IP preferences for your network card in the control panel and set one there.

-tech

If you set up your own address use 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x addresses so you don't route if you do connect to a real network.

yes, i just want to set my local comptuer to have a static IP address. The probelm is, that it works fine when my NIC card is pluged into a local network hub, but the second i disconnect it, i lose my local IP address. The IPCONFIG just says "media disconnected

Did you manually configure one or did you use IPconfig /renew to get a default internal address?

-tech

I am surprised no one suggested using the localhost address. The name localhost will resolve to 127.0.0.1 which is your own PC. I did not see any requirement that it needed to be a specific IP.

I acutaly wanted to make up my own IP address. To add more detail, what i was tyring to do was put Virtural PC on the system, which was running a 2nd copy of XP, and i wanted each version of the OS to have its own IP and communicate back and forth with thoes IP's. That being said, I would need something other than localhost to connect between the two.

wcburton,

The problem is you need a device that appears as a valid network connection under Network Properties.

so you sometimes need to have what appears to XP as a true network adapter. (You should not assign a physical device the address 127.0.0.1, and this as well will not handle the Media Sense service).

Now you could disable Media Sense:
And then assign any IP to the physical adapter. But as XP natively has a "virtual" loopback adapter to handle this issue, it seems clean all around, your routing table makes sense, and you can test all manner of network configurations using the native Loopback adapter as I linked earlier in this thread.

It is a clean and quite elegant solution; and the alternatives are quite messy, ugly and could cause serious issues later.

And it is free.

bcastner,

I agree with everything you pointed out (would be kind of foolish not to agree with someone so wise), just did not seem that original post had clearly stated a need for such and did not want to let the simple solution go overlooked.

-Bill

bcburton,

It was the issue of cirumventing media sense that bothered my about your suggestion, nothing else.

I could not see a clever hack around this one just by an IP change. And I hate to play with the localhost entry in the route table. And disabling media sense is fine, as long as at some point in the future you remember you did so.

Other than these issues, I saw a lot of value in your suggestion. I hope you did not view my response as hypercrticial. The use of the Microsoft native Loopback adapter is a rather elegant and simple solution.

Thank you again for the suggestion, it is certainly a possible one, albeit with some baggage that the loopback adapter resolves without trauma.

Best,
Bill

yes, i didnt explain my WHOLE probelm in the original post just to try and keep things simple.

Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back