Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Address of 169.x.x.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvannoy

MIS
May 4, 2001
US
I have 6 new systems hooked into the LAN.. WIN2K SP3. On all 6 I cannot get a IP address from the DHCP server. On one of the systems I cannot even get DHCP client to start Manual or Auto. says adapter is not associated with it. I am sure there is some corruption with that PC. But why the problem with the other 5??? they are running our standard image so there has been nothing installed that should not. Can a Virus cause this ??

Any help would be appreciated

can a virus cause it... sure

169 is the default address after it cannot find a valid dhcp server...

can you give more info about your DHCP infrastructure? ... how are you doing dhcp.... addressing?

IP Address get assigned by a DHCP server in our corporate office.. I am aware that 169 is assigned when a IP address cannot get assigned to the PC..I just think it's odd that this is happening to 6 new pc's in different locations.ther are over 100 pc's here so I dont think there a issue with the dhcp server. I am more likely to say it's a virus..but which one? I cannot get out to the internet to update the virus signatures and right now theres no virus being detected.

Has the network card driver been successfully loaded, can you assign a static IP address? If not remove and re-install TCPIP.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Yes..network card gets loaded.. I have removed and re-installed IP..Also, I wiped one of these systems out and still cannot get an address from the server...now, yes I can assign a static address.. I guess that will have to be the fix for now. This location where I am at I really donot support so, I'm just being lend blind with the way they have there cables run etc... I have seen little hubs everywhere that they split one drop to get another six. There is really some internal issues here. The thing I dont understand is why the DHCP server will assign All the other PC's an address(which probally has been the address for years) and not new pc's??

Have you still got leases available on your DHCP server?

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

I would try replacing the switch. I had something like that happen to me, and I was pulling my hair out. I finally replaced the switch and it all worked fine.

You could also check and see if any scopes have been setup and that there are still address available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back