Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP address issue – moving between subnets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouloubj

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2004
US
I have a question that someone will hopefully be able to answer. We have several building that each have their own subnet (10.1.X.X, 10.2.X.X, 10.3.X.X). When moving between buildings a few computers often renew the same ip address they had at a different building. I have tried release & renew but the same ip address is received. I have also tried to delete the lease within dhcp snap in but the same ip address gets renewed.

We have a Windows 2003 Server that is dhcp server (10.1.1.10) and each location has a Cisco router with the IP helper command sending request to the server. It does not happen with all pc/mac but just a few. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Each building has its own gateway, so if you pull the same dhcp info it will not have to correct dg.

ex. 10.1.x.x has a dg of 10.1.1.254
10.2.x.x has a dg of 10.2.1.254 .. and so on.

Are you sure there isn't a dhcp reservation configured for said clients?

Try running the following command on one of the windows clients:
NETSH INTERFACE IP RESET
This will reset the IP stack for windows. This should at least point you in the right direction - if they work after this, it is definately an issue at the client end.

I spoke with Microsoft about this and they suggested deleting the Super Scope that all the scopes were in. It has seemed to resolve the issue.

Wow...you called Microsoft and they did not tell you to reboot???

Burt

I have the same issues in that if a computer is moved from one VLAN with one DHCP scope to another VLAN with a different scope the IP address of the former VLAN / scope is maintained. This occurs on all PC's and laptops. The only way of getting a computer to pick up the an IP from the correct scope once moved is to do the following in this exact order:-
1, On computer ipconfig /release
2, Delete the address lease in DHCP
3, Restart the computer in its released state

The computer then gets the correct IP.

The "NETSH INTERFACE IP RESET" suggested above doesnt seem to help.
Bit reluctant to delete the super scope. Must be a fix without having to do that - there again it is a Micrsoft program!!!
ps have played aroung with the Lease duration which doesnt make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back