Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Address Conflict 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airforce1

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2002
US
I have a new client who uses all static IP addresses. I have gone to every device on the network, i.e., managed switches, PCs, Servers, routers, etc. and I have documented the IP addresses in use. My problem is there are several IP addresses that do not appear to be in use, but when I try to assign them to a PC, the address is in conflict with some other device on the network. I have never run into this before. How can this be?

Another trick is to go to the IP address as a web page, often printers and network gear has a web page, even my UPS has a web page

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I have used an IP Scanner and it returns "dead" for the IP addresses in question,i.e., when I try to assign those same IP address to a Windows XP machine, the PCs indicate an IP address conflict with the supposed "dead" addresses.

Download Etherreal, it will give you the MAC and you should be able to track it down based on MAC for each IP.

Just because a device doesn't respond to an ICMP request,
does not mean it is non-existant. Could be a firewall, or
an XP machine with firewall software that doesn't respond
to pings. If you have manually checked all devices commonly
though of, I would start looking at network printers and
print servers and Wireless access points (I know I forget
them from time to time). A lot of new copy machines can scan
PDF's to email. That takes an IP also. Maybe a machine with
virtual IP address?? or a security camera system that runs
over IP. It has to be something you're missing. I haven't
ever seen an IP conflict that was a false
positive.

The arp message above is the best way to narrow it down
assuming the IP in question is even in the arp table.

Hope this helps,
B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back