Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP address conflict with device on different IP adress!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2002
GB
Here's a wierd one:

2 PC's, linked with Wireless Network cards to a Wireless Access Point which is connected to a Switch, which has another PC and a network Printer attached.

All PC's are running 2000 SP3, everything works fine until:

One of the Wireless PC's reports an IP address Conflict, when I check Event Viewer it gives the MAC address of the other wireless PC, but it is on a different IP address!

So:
PC1 : 192.168.0.10
PC2 : 192.168.0.20

Everything works fine for a day or two, then I get the IP address conflict message, PC1 falls off the network and I have to reboot to get it back up.

Anyone got any Ideas?

Cheers,
--

Dash
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every Minute!!!!!"

By the way I have tried changing both IP addresses to no avail :( --

Dash

maybe try switching the 2 wireless pc cards. See if the pc 2 now goes down instead of pc 1, then it will tell you if it is a problem with the card.

I guess great minds think alike Mattb7,

Thats exactly what I did yesterday, and I just got a call from the guys this morning to say that now the other Wireless PC cannot connect to the Network.

Luckily I have about 100 in stock, so I'm off to swap it now..

Thanks anyway! :)

--

Dash

Yes, we have support contracts with 30-40 establishments, and we're installing Wireless kit all over...

There are a lot of old listed buildings around here, so not many people can have structured cabling installed, and its cheaper to just buy in bulk once or twice a year :)

--

Dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back