Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP add. goes away on reboot Why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimSalus

Technical User
Mar 27, 2001
US
When I installed this machine I placed an address on HME0 via the install process. After working on the machine for a few days and rebooting many times, without an issue, I had to change the address and the machine name. I used ifconfig to change the address, I change the machine name using the hostname command, and I made the proper modifications to hostname.hme0 file. When I changed the interface I did not unplumb the interface. I have verified the hosts file, networks file, hostname.hme file and all is correct.

Now when I reboot the machine I get and error message BAD IP ADDRESS . When the machine comes up there is no default route and no ip address on the interface HME0. At this point and time I can enter the IP address via ifconfig and I can enter the default route and all works fine.

When in the heck is the IP address on boot coming from ? I know there is a bad address defined somewhere but I can not find it.

Sincerely
Timothy L. Salus

You may want to try sys-unconfig. reboot, and reset all your system info.

check in your /etc/hosts file, the IP address for "loghost"

when the system boots it looks at the hostname.<interface>
i.e hostname.hme0

it then looks this up in the /etc/hosts file to get the IP address.

your ifconfig and hostname will only change it on a running system, as you have found, when you reboot they wil go !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back