Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP 4602 phone QOS ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugllog

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2013
GB
Hi
I'm trying to add QOS on our netgear FVS318G VPN router for Avaya IP 4602 phone which is running over VPN.

Please advise what ports / protocols I need to add for QOS?

thanks

Good luck with that on the netgear.

KB said:
QoS

When transporting voice over low speed links it is possible for normal data packets (1500 byte packets) to prevent or delay voice packets (typically 67 or 31 bytes) from getting across the link. This can cause unacceptable speech quality.

Therefore, it is vital that all traffic routers and switches in the network have some form of Quality of Service (QoS) mechanism. QoS routers are essential to ensure low speech latency and to maintain sufficient audio quality.

IP Office supports the DiffServ (RFC2474) QoS mechanism. This is based upon using a Type of Service (ToS) field in the IP packet header. On its WAN interfaces, IP Office uses this to prioritize voice and voice signalling packets. It also fragments large data packets and, where supported, provides VoIP header compression to minimize the WAN overhead.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

thanks for your reply. think i will leave as is for the moment .

For my guidance , does this phone operate on specific ports, as I'm planning on locking down the VPN based on ports?

The 4602 phone is connected remotely and is linked our IP400 at headoffice over Ipsec VPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back