Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP 2004 Registration Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegenerallee

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2011
US
I've taken over an existing PBX and am now working with BCMs that I don't have much experience with. The system in question for this issue is a BCM400. What I need to know is if there's a default registration password that these phone's always ask for or if there's a way within the BCM that I can find the existing password if it's something that is set globally for all users with these phones.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello,

from an old note the default password used to be set under the BCM manager window under:
Services > IP Telephony > IP Terminals > Nortel IP terminals
then choose the General tab password is set here

you should be able to change it & use it without affecting already registered sets

hope that helps

The default password was just 4 letters, but you may need to use the Telset login and password for some IP phones. It depends on how its been set in the BCM programming.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

@bdabson: Thanks. I'll have to try that as a last resort just in case it would have a chance of affecting users. I'm sure you're right but this location is about 1,000 miles away so I need to be very careful with the changes I make.

@firebirdscrambler: What's the default password? As far as the BCM programming goes, I was looking around and found that under the "Configuration" tab and going to Resources -> Telephony Resources -> choosing the Bus 1 module (the "Actual Type" column shows IP & App Sets), I can see that "Enable registration" is checked, "Enable global registration password" is checked, and the "Global password" field has 10 characters in it. So is it safe to assume it's actually 10 characters in length or does the BCM always show 10 dots for the password as a security measure?

Additional details on the issue:

The user reporting this issue to me is indicating that the phone shows the message "NO LLDPDUs RECEIVED" then goes to the screen asking for a password.

In a CS1000 system, when you turn on provisioning on the set, where provisioning is not set up on the network, you get that error (or similar) You might want to ask them to check that in the Network settings on the phone (assuming they have an IP phone)

In the BCM, uncheck registration, uncheck global registration password, enter a password if you like (or leave it blank), then check registration and check global registration once again and you'll be off and running. The default password is in the install docs, but no telling if someone changed it or not. The default is only 4 letters.

Thanks for all of the help guys. Finally got this thing going.

The Fix: Our IT manager had to contact the former phone system administrator to try and get the password (he indicated that the default was 12345 versus the others that you all suggested) for phone registration in the BCM. Password worked then had to deregister the extension in the BCM so that the user could choose their extension when setting up the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back