Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IOS version needed to support MPLS on Cisco 1811/2811

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutifulDave

Technical User
Apr 6, 2008
GB
Hi,

I need advice on the type of IOS that is needed for a Cisco MPLS network, i.e. IP services, Advanced IP Services, etc.

I am being pressured to produce a network design that supports MPLS, and provide outline costs to enable funding to be secured.

If anyone out there knows the most basic version of IOS to support MPLS and OSPF for the 1811, and 2811, and a rough (budgetary) price (please state which currency), I would be very grateful.

Also, does anyone know if the routers can be purchased with the appropriate version of IOS already installed?

Thanks

Dave

What vendors do you go through? Ever do the Ebay thing? The lowest image is c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.123-11.T.bin on the 2811, and c1841-adventerprisek9-mz.123-14.YT.bin on the 1841. Highly unlikely these images would come on a router you get from Ebay, and the image is not cheap. The 1811 does not even come up. You can find out more here

Burt

Burt,

Thanks for the information, and sorry for the multiple posts - its my first time on a forum; I struggled to find my post and ended up posting it 3 times (once under 3Com routers ee-or) before I could find it again, but I couldn't work out how to delete the repeats.

I looked at the information on the hyperlink, and find it very useful. However, a question did occur to me when I looked through the feature navigator:

In certain parts of Cisco's website, and on some vendor websites I notice that the software is not referenced by IOS version number, but by a name, such as Base IP Services, Advanced IP Services, Enterprise Services etc.

How is it possible to tel if a certain version of IOS is Enterprice, Advanced, etc? Does it even matter? Possibly I'm reading too much into the terminolgy, and should just concentrate on the version number?

I normally purchase through a reputable UK retailer, and so if I can identify which version I need, I can specifiy the IOS version I need, assuming it is possible get a 2811 shipped with different versions. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Are you trying to provision MPLS yourself or merely connect to an MPLS cloud?

The Advanced Security, Advanced Enterprise, Enterprise, IP Services, Advanced IP Services all have this in the image name. This page should help...

You can also cross-reference with the Feature Navigator, by searching By Platform, and then weeding out what you need, or just simply talk to a Cisco vendor.

Burt

I have the same question that Brian has. Do you actually need to run MPLS on your router? Or are you simply connecting to a MPLS-based provider network? Those are two very different things. I'd be surprised if you actually need to run MPLS on your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back