Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IOS Upgrade PIX 515

Status
Not open for further replies.

malderse

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2003
GB
My Company is currently using a PIX 515 firewall with two interfaces ( inside and outside ) , I have static routes set to internal servers providing various services to the sales force . I have checked the config of the box , as I am new to the company and it would appear the the IOS version is 4.4 . The firewall has not been upgraded is May 2000 ( original installation Date). I am pretty keen to up grade the IOS to the lataest version , however I not sure what impact a jump to the latest version will have on my existing config if any. Any information on this subject would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

Hi malderse,

start by checking how much memory you have by using SHO VER. There is a conversion table to help you:
i28F020 512 KB
AT29C040A 2 MB
atmel 2 MB
i28F640J5 8 MB - PIX 506 16 MB - all other PIXes
strata 16 MB

these are the minimum requirements per version:
PIX Software version 4.4(x) - 2 MB Flash, 16 MB RAM
PIX Software version 5.0(x) - 2 MB Flash, 32 MB RAM
PIX Software version 5.1(x) - 2 MB Flash, 32 MB RAM
PIX Software version 5.2(x) - 8 MB Flash, 32 MB RAM
PIX Software version 5.3(x) - 8 MB Flash, 32 MB RAM
PIX Software version 6.0(x) - 8 MB Flash, 32 MB RAM
PIX Software version 6.1(x) - 8 MB Flash, 32 MB RAM
PIX Software version 6.2(x) - 8 MB Flash, 32 MB RAM

Jacre,
Thanks for the response I have 32MB and 2MB flash currently . The current Firewall config is fairly basic . However I am concerned as to the impact any upgrade may have on things like conduit commands , as I was informed that these may be affected during the upgrade process. I am in the unfortunate position of not having any test kit . So I have no way of judging the impact of any change before making them . So I would welcome any information you can give from your expierence.

Many thanks

Malderse

Hi Malderse,

You have enough flash just to go to 5.1 and you won't gain much from where you are. IMHO, the effort to upgrade is only worthy if you go straight up to 6.2(2). Need to upgrade the flash.

There will be a lot of translation work. Some commands in 4.4 have a different syntax than 6.2, you will have to save the current configuration in 4.x "wr t" and translate it to 6.x.

It is a big change and you should plan for a rollback. But my advice is that you should do it as 4.x is "hackable".

Go slow and plan carefully. Start with the command translation. Don't try to optimize anything to begin with. Once you successfully move to 6.x, then you start the cleaning. I only recommend to do that, because you don't have swing hardware.

Jacaré

P.S. as insurance, you should buy SmartNet, the lowest level, just to make sure you have the last resource to help you. I think you have to buy anyway to be able to download the latest version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back