Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iOmega Prestige 1TB freezing on transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingmarshie

Technical User
Aug 23, 2010
US
Alright, so I just bought an iOmega Prestige 1TB to back up files so I could finally format and install windows 7. Although it would freeze when I tried to transfer my music (about 70gb), it eventually made it through and all the music was on the external, along with movies, etc. During all this, I was using vista (if that matters).

I installed Windows 7 and when the time came to move my music back to my system drive, it would start to transfer and then freeze. It was NTFS formatted, so I reformatted to FAT32. I lost all my music but had some backed up on DVDs so I transferred those straight to the external with no problem. After this, the transfers would go a little longer from the external to my system drive but then freeze again. I then switched again to NTFS on the external and sure enough, it freezes when the transfer begins. Both hard drives are NTFS (if it matters). Oh, and I tried to copy files off the external to another computer running windows 7 and the same problem happened. Maybe the drive is busted? I sure hope not, but any tips or guidance would be tremendously appreciated. And please try to dumb it down as much as possible, I'm no guru :)

Run chkdsk on the drive to see if it has problems.

If its under warranty perhaps an exchange is in order?

Is the drive a single unit inside? or 2 x 500MB HD's inside?.

If two it may be a case where one of the 2 internal drives is failing.

Iomega doesn't seem to offer any diagnostic software, but perhaps if you can find out what kind of drive is inside, you can use the drive's manufacturer's diagnostic software to test the drive.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Have you tried posting on the iomega forums? they will respond to questions, also not sure if there is a firmware, or driver update for this model, but worth checking on.

I ran disk check and it came up clean. Unfortunately, iOmega doesn't have a support forum and if they do, their website is so poorly put together that I cannot find it. I read on another forum that the hard drive is a 1TB Seagate Baracuda, I assume just one. Tried to update the firmware and it did nothing. Gonna call iOmega and tell them to take back this POS. Pretty frustrating losing about 200gb of data. Lesson learned, iOmega blows.

If its a Seagate try Seagate's own Seatools diagnostic software.

Other than that if its still on warranty, then yes by all means return it.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back