Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invoking the Windows HTML Help Engine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOMCAT

MIS
Jan 5, 2001
US
I'm using Fujitsu COBOL Version 6.1 and cannot figure out how to call the Windows HTML engine. A Windows API or the Common Dialog Control from Microsoft works fine for the standard Windows help engine but the API for HTML requires use of an .OCX file and not a library. Has anyone crossed this bridge before?

Hello Tomcat

Please, go to in the Vb Samples section.
You will find the DHTML.OCX supplied from Microsoft and download it.

Hope in this help.

Gianni

Gianni,

Thanks for the information. The Fujitsu support team offered their solution as follows:

CALL "HtmlHelpA" WITH STDCALL LINKAGE USING
BY VALUE WS-HANDLE
BY REFERENCE WS-HELP-FILE-NAME
BY VALUE 0 0
END-CALL.

You will need to link in two libraries for this to work:
ADVAPI32.LIB
HTMLHELP.LIB

WS-HANDLE = 0
WS-HELP-FILE-NAME = FILE.CHM

Hello Tomcat

Thanks for your advice.

I didn't know if you are using API calls, because i suggest you to download the API Guide from It is a good solution to discovered some API functions that can be used with Powercobol more easily. An if you know somethings about Visual Basic there are a lot of sample code that can help you to understand much better how to use them with Powercobol, of course, "translating" the code.:eek:)

Also i inform you that not all libraries are available with Powercobol and you need to have the Visual Studio to complete some connections to api.

Let me know if this hint help you.

Gianni

If you use powerCobol see this
ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
DATA DIVISION.
WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
01 CONTROLLI.
03 FILENAME PIC X(260).
PROCEDURE DIVISION.
A.
MOVE SPACE TO FILENAME

STRING
"HH" DELIMITED BY SIZE
" " DELIMITED BY SIZE
***************** FOR UNIT DRIVER NAME
"\DACA\HLP\DaCa2000.CHM" DELIMITED BY SIZE
INTO FILENAME

INVOKE POW-SELF "Execute" USING
FILENAME

EXIT PROGRAM.
you can create a chm file using frontpage or similar and compiling with HTML HELP WORKSHOP downloadable from microsoft: regards
fsccdm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back