Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invoking Script via rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

sodakotahusker

Programmer
Mar 15, 2001
I am trying to automate a process which is triggered by an email with a certain string in the subject. I have a rule which copies the message into a special folder. I want to also specify on that rule a script to run. The script prompt looks like it is a drop down box which is empty. I can't choose a script and I can't type one in? What I want ultimately to do is to shell out to VB and run an application - with an argument sent in on the command line. So I'd like to use a macro - but I am under the impression that a script is not equivalent to a macro - that I would need something like Windows Scriping Host active on the machine so I could invoke that type of script. Can anyone give me suggestions for how I should be doing this. My fallback solution is simply to run an application from the rule wizard and have the app just read the items in the mailbox.

Thanks!

Add this line to the top of your module. It will show your script in the drop down list.

'LISTING 1: The getmail Subroutine

mike

Wrong answer Mike - but you did point me to the right answer. The Listing statement seems to be documentation. What I needed was the mailitem argument for my subroutine. I did a search on the internet for Listing etc. and Found the Sue Mosher article on this topic. I did not have any luck with just the comment. I put in the argument voila - it worked. I removed the Listing comment and it still worked! Thanks for helping me find the solution.

I had the same problem a few months ago and I was told to add that line and it worked. Something with that line makes the script appear in the drop down list.

Well, at least you found what you were looking for.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back