Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invoices/batch reports using Reporting Services? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hapax

Programmer
Nov 10, 2006
US
I'm a Reporting Services newbie.

I want to use Report Designer in SQL Server 2005 to generate monthly invoices for customers. I would need to somehow automatically repeat running the same report, but for a different customer ID each time. Kind of like a batch process.

How can I make this happpen?

The data is in SQL Server 2000. I have Visual Studio 2008 if that helps.

I know Crystal Reports can do this, using the Crystal Reports server. But I'm hoping to find a way to do it using MS Reporting Services.

Not without building your own interface as far as I know

There may be something in 2005 but there is nothing "out of the box" for 2000 certainly

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Design the report so that it selects all (or a list of) customers, groups by customer, and has a page break between groups.

I think this is what xlbo was referring to, but if you want to email theses invoices at some time in the future, you could write a small .net app and use the SSRS web service to export the reports (just loop through a list of parameters and generate a report for each)

Hope this helps,

Alex

[small]----signature below----[/small]
Majority rule don't work in mental institutions

My Crummy Web Page

Hi,

SQL-RD from ChristianSteven Software can automate this rocess for you. It can loop through your database to read the customers and pass them to your report one at a time. It can then look up an email address from your daabase based on the customer and email it out.

Have a look at data-driven subscriptions ( With a data driven subscription you can hold the details of your customers in a table with an email address. The report will then be scheduled to use the customer number to run their own report/invoice and distribute.

Thanks
Adam

Adam Blackwell
Business Intelligence Analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back