Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invisible Windows 7 Machine! 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ca8msm

Programmer
May 9, 2002
GB
Hi,

I've got a strange issue with my windows 7 machine at home that has been bugging me for weeks, but I really need to get it sorted now so I'll detail as much as I can and hopefully someone can spot what might might be wrong.

I have a wireless router connected to the internet and 3 devices connected to it. They are:
[tt]
Name OS Network IPv4
PC1 Windows 7 WORKGROUP 192.168.2.2
LAPTOP1 Vista WORKGROUP 192.168.2.3
PS3 192.168.2.4
[/tt]
and they all get their IP addresses dynamically.

Both PC1 and LAPTOP1 can ping PS3 and get a response. PC1 can ping LAPTOP1 and get a response. LAPTOP1 cannot ping PC1 by ip address but it will work if I ping by it's name (which bizarrely shows that it is pinging via the IPv6 address). Also, both PC1 and LAPTOP1 can ping each other via the long IPv6 address that they both have so they can obviously see each other just not via IPv4. Both PC1 and LAPTOP1 have file and print sharing turned on and I've disabled the firewalls on both machines as well to rule that out. PC1 still gets out to the internet ok as well so the issue must be "incoming" based.

I don't really know what IPv6 is used for and I've tried disabling it on PC1 but all that happens then is that I can't access PC1 at all. Does anyone have any idea of what may be stopping PC1 from being seen, any ways I can look at fixing this, or any network tools that may help identify where it is failing?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

Darlington Web Design
Experts, Information, Ideas & Knowledge
ASP.NET Tips & Tricks

To test further try this. Disable IPv6 and put your connection information in statically for IPv4. Then see if you can communicate correctly between all devices.

network on windows 7 is set to private?

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

It sounds like a network sharing setting and/or firewall security setting. To test for the firewall, try turning off the Windows firewall and/or whatever other software firewall you have on the Windows 7 machine, and try again. Then try with the firewalls on the other machines until you've turned everything off if need be. If it then will show up, you know for sure it's the firewall. Also, sometimes you have to reboot all the involved Windows machines to see everything correctly - at least that's what I've done on occasions.

Also, if you have any IP blocking software (other than a firewall), that can also - sometimes, I think, cause the issues.

Anyway, turning the firewall(s) off is just to narrow down the issue(s). Once you do narrow it down, start tunring things back on/adjusting them to fix the issue, but don't just leave the firewall(s) off. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Oh yeah, in all of that, it wouldn't hurt to power-cycle your router as well. That can sometimes help with making sure everything is "fresh". as far as showing all the connections..

--

Thank you for the responses so far, no luck yet but here's some comments on the inital suggestions:
Kawdude said:
To test further try this. Disable IPv6 and put your connection information in statically for IPv4. Then see if you can communicate correctly between all devices.
OK, I disabled IPv6 and gave the pc a static IP address but still can't see the windows 7 machine (either by ping or by trying to access any of it's shared folders). What I did notice that was that because IPv6 is disabled that I can no longer have a windows 7 "homegroup".

Lemon13 said:
network on windows 7 is set to private?
It's set to "Home". I get a choice of Home, Work or Public so that seemed to be the obvious choice.

kjv1611 said:
It sounds like a network sharing setting and/or firewall security setting. To test for the firewall, try turning off the Windows firewall and/or whatever other software firewall you have on the Windows 7 machine, and try again. Then try with the firewalls on the other machines until you've turned everything off if need be. If it then will show up, you know for sure it's the firewall. Also, sometimes you have to reboot all the involved Windows machines to see everything correctly - at least that's what I've done on occasions.

Also, if you have any IP blocking software (other than a firewall), that can also - sometimes, I think, cause the issues.

Anyway, turning the firewall(s) off is just to narrow down the issue(s). Once you do narrow it down, start tunring things back on/adjusting them to fix the issue, but don't just leave the firewall(s) off. wink

Oh yeah, in all of that, it wouldn't hurt to power-cycle your router as well. That can sometimes help with making sure everything is "fresh". as far as showing all the connections..
As I said above I've completely turned off both firewalls as I wanted to rule that out being a problem (at least I hope by turning them off that I can rule them out). I've also rebooted each machine, the router and started them all up in selective startup with no programs running to ensure somethign else isn't interfering.

linney said:
How to Enable Ping Reply in Windows 7

How to Troubleshoot Network & Internet Problems
OK, I added the rule to the firewall from the first link, although I'd assume that because the firewall is off that it shouldn't actually be needed. Also, it's not really just a ping issue (sorry if I'd worded my initial post like that) as I'd assume I should be able to see any shared folders even if I couldn't ping.

I've also gone through the network troubleshooters and it didn't find any issues. It does however find one now that I've diabled IPv6 as per Kawdude's suggestion, stating that there is an issue creating a "homegroup" as IPv6 isn't enabled.

I was hoping that someone may know of a method of making viewing some log files or a piece of software that might help locate where the problem could be (i.e. if you could see a firewall log that showed a blocked attempt, or some way of tracking a packet being sent to that IP address etc). Would any of that be possible?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

Darlington Web Design
ASP.NET Tips & Tricks

Have you opened network and sharing center and click on
Change Advanced Sharing Settings and then ensure the top 3 are set to enable?

tlcscousin said:
Have you opened network and sharing center and click on
Change Advanced Sharing Settings and then ensure the top 3 are set to enable?
Yes, Network Discovery, File and Print Sharing and"Public Folder Sharing are all set to on for both the "Home or Work (current profile)" and Public profiles.

Mark,

Darlington Web Design
ASP.NET Tips & Tricks

most likely this is a ROUTER issue. Routers are designed for connecting DIFFERENT networks, and it may treat all of them as a separate Networks...

if you have a switch, place it between the different components, and see if that changes the behavior...

it is also strange that IPv6 should disable the DNS...

in a DOS BOX type: NSLOOKUP, what does it state?

see if the following are of any help:

Networking home computers running different versions of Windows

Description of Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) caching behavior in Windows Vista TCP/IP implementations

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

BadBigBen said:
most likely this is a ROUTER issue. Routers are designed for connecting DIFFERENT networks, and it may treat all of them as a separate Networks...

if you have a switch, place it between the different components, and see if that changes the behavior...
I don't have a switch to try, but I do have another router. I bought an 802.11n one to replace the current 802.11g one just in case that was the problem (as I thought at least I could use it in the future even if that turned out not to be the issue) but I still had the same problem. I've gone back to the old router but I'm happy to try the new one again if you think that would be the cause of the issue?

BadBigBen said:
in a DOS BOX type: NSLOOKUP, what does it state?
I get this:
[tt]
C:\Users\Default.PC1>nslookup
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.2.1
[/tt]
The IP returned in the Address field is the router's IP, is the fact that the server returns Unknown an issue?

I'll have a read through the links you've posted as well now and see if they offer anything.

Thank you,
Mark

Mark,

Darlington Web Design
ASP.NET Tips & Tricks

Well, in that case (192.168.2.1), you could try manually setting your IP address on that computer, to see if that fixes the issues...

Try soemthing like 192.168.2.50, or something else not currently used.... makes me wonder, though, why it's not correctly assigning the address, unless you somehow changed it to a static address and forgot about it..

--

kjv1611 said:
Well, in that case (192.168.2.1), you could try manually setting your IP address on that computer, to see if that fixes the issues...

Try soemthing like 192.168.2.50, or something else not currently used.... makes me wonder, though, why it's not correctly assigning the address, unless you somehow changed it to a static address and forgot about it..
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. The 192.168.2.1 address is the IP Address of the router, not the PC. The PC originally had a dynamically assigned IP Address, but I have now changed it to be static as per Kawdude's suggestion (although I kept the same IP Address rather than selecting a new one - 192.168.2.2).

Are you suggesting I stick with a static IP but just pick a different one that definitely hasn't been used proeviously by DHCP?

Thanks

Mark,

Darlington Web Design
ASP.NET Tips & Tricks

OK...

NSLOOKUP returns the IP of the DNS server, in your case the router...

in my case at home: the IP of my router...

so all is fine with that setting so far...

now I would go along the lines what KJV suggested, in that you set the IPs to a static one, on the PC and the LAPTOP, for testing purposes... reboot the W7 and Vista boxes, remove power from the router for a few minutes (this clears the caches in the router)... IP settings are easily reverted later...

from a DOS BOX, type IPCONFIG /all and post the results here, do this for the PC and Laptop...

also post the results from arp -a from both...

Ben

Can you get hold of a crossover cable and bypass the Routers altogether for testing purposes and see if you can get Vista and Windows 7 talking to each other?

Does testing from "Safe Mode with Networking" provide any success?

What make of Network card is installed in Windows 7?

Is the Firewall on Windows 7, the Windows Firewall, or is it a third party product. Do any of your other anti virus products have hidden firewalling components?

Have you ventured into the Event Viewer of Windows 7 to see if there are any clues in that?

Have you ever had networking working correctly in this setup, or has it been this way since you created the Network?

now I would go along the lines what KJV suggested, in that you set the IPs to a static one, on the PC and the LAPTOP, for testing purposes... reboot the W7 and Vista boxes, remove power from the router for a few minutes (this clears the caches in the router)... IP settings are easily reverted later...

from a DOS BOX, type IPCONFIG /all and post the results here, do this for the PC and Laptop...

also post the results from arp -a from both...
OK, I've set both the Laptop and PC to static addresses that haven't been used before, rebooted both as well as the router (but still no access). So, here's my new setup and the results of what you asked for:

PC - 192.168.2.100
[tt]
C:\Users\Default.PC1>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PC1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Check Point Virtual Network Adapter For S
ecureClient
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 54-B4-5E-09-93-0C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Ba
se-T Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-60-36-32-B6
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:73bc:106f:2d49:a9e9:c76b(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::106f:2d49:a9e9:c76b%12(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{3A3C9F75-27B6-47E3-978E-6C1F956E0397}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

C:\Users\Default.PC1>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.2.100 --- 0xb
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.2.1 00-11-50-3c-ac-10 dynamic
192.168.2.101 00-1f-3c-30-a0-e4 dynamic
192.168.2.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static
224.0.0.252 01-00-5e-00-00-fc static
239.255.255.250 01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa static
[/tt]

Laptop - 192.168.2.101
[tt]
C:\Users\Default>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Check Point Virtual Network Adapter For S
ecureClient
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 54-B2-34-59-71-0F

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Con
nection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-3C-30-A0-E4
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.101(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-68-87-9D-A7

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{C6E89DD1-433C-41E9-ABEC-1280162F0
807}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:73bc:20ab:32c1:3f57:fd9a(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::20ab:32c1:3f57:fd9a%8(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Default>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.2.101 --- 0xa
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.2.1 00-11-50-3c-ac-10 dynamic
192.168.2.100 00-1d-60-36-32-b6 dynamic
192.168.2.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static
224.0.0.252 01-00-5e-00-00-fc static
239.255.255.250 01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa static
[/tt]

Hopefully some of that means more to you than it does to me!

Thanks,

Mark,

Darlington Web Design
ASP.NET Tips & Tricks

linney said:
Can you get hold of a crossover cable and bypass the Routers altogether for testing purposes and see if you can get Vista and Windows 7 talking to each other?

Does testing from "Safe Mode with Networking" provide any success?

What make of Network card is installed in Windows 7?

Is the Firewall on Windows 7, the Windows Firewall, or is it a third party product. Do any of your other anti virus products have hidden firewalling components?

Have you ventured into the Event Viewer of Windows 7 to see if there are any clues in that?

Have you ever had networking working correctly in this setup, or has it been this way since you created the Network?
1. No, I don't have one to hand, but I'll buy one if that will help get the problem sorted.

2. I haven't tried this. I will test it out and post back the results.

3. The network card is just onboard I think. It shows up in device manager as "Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller".

4. The firewall is just the standard windows firewall but I have tried turning off all programs at startup to make sure that they aren't interfering. I guess that there could still be something there causing the issue though but I'm not sure what (the only network related program is Check Point VPN which is currently disabled).

5. The only network related errors I can see in the Event Viewer relate to a Windows Mobile device I plug in via USB:
[tt]
Log Name: Application
Source: RapiMgr
Date: 30/01/2010 18:25:01
Event ID: 7
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: PC1
Description:
Windows Mobile-based USB device is plugged in but is unable get a network with the desktop.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns=" <System>
<Provider Name="RapiMgr" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-30T18:25:01.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>3735</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>MAIN-WIN7</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
[/tt]
I've disconnected that device in case that was anyhting to do with the problem.

6. No, I've never had the network working as such, but I only ever had the laptop so I hadn't had the need before.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mark,

Darlington Web Design
ASP.NET Tips & Tricks

Not sure if you've tried this yet but have you tried using Windows Zero Wireless Configuration only to bypass any vendor wireless utilities issues? Some vendor wireless configuration software can mask problems.

Kawdude said:
Not sure if you've tried this yet but have you tried using Windows Zero Wireless Configuration only to bypass any vendor wireless utilities issues? Some vendor wireless configuration software can mask problems.
Does that exist in Windows 7? I can't seem to find that service. However, I haven't installed any specific software that manages my connections and it is all done through Windows if that means I have the same outcome as what you were suggesting?

Mark,

Darlington Web Design
ASP.NET Tips & Tricks

well, I don't see anything wrong with the settings on both the PC and the Laptop...

have you tried to hook up the Laptop using a regular ethernet cable to the router, and see if it works then?

I am still leaning towards a router issue, between wireless and cabled networking...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back