Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invisible mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSMike

Programmer
Feb 7, 2001
US
Hmmm...this one may be out there...but...
Is there a way to map a drive to a PC, but have the mapping be invisible to the user when they look at their NT Explorer?
I currently use a batch file placed in the Startup directory to map drives when a user starts up (net use e:\\abcmachineorserver\sharename, etc.).
I was wondering, however how to give a user a mapping so they could access needed files, but not allow them to be able to browse around in the share.
I realize that this is what permissions are all about, but this is not an option for me in this case.
Thanking you in advance... Mike K

Nope...I think you either have to move you data to a new share point (that contains no other "browsable" data) or learn to use permissions properly..or design your physical data structure more appropriately.

As an alternative, you may want to run the batch program through a logon script. This way, you map the drive, run the bat, and then disconnect the drive mapping all through the logon process. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

to make share name invisible to explorer add a $ symbol to the end of the sharename ie:

\\server\share would appear in explorer
\\server\share$ will not be visible

the only way you can stop browsing up and down a mapped drive path is to design your mapped paths appropriately.

Chris

Mapped drives (even with "$" shares) are visible in Windows Explorer. Although the "$" will make the share invisible in Network Neighborhood browsing, I don't think this is a valid answer to the proposed question.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

I don't know if this is what you mean, but it sounds very similar to the environment we have.

In the school I look after, we have applications which need a drive letter mapped. I don't want the kids to be able to see the data in that folder, but still be able to run the program.

Basically, I log in as myself, map the drive (eg J:) etc, and then create a shortcut to the program (eg to J:\APP.EXE).

I then refer to for more details :)

Hope this helps?
Gerard

WOW Sirclive, great resource!

Looks like that one's the anwer for you GSMike.

TweakUI should also be able to help you hide drives. Don't know if it will work because I've never tried it, I just know it's another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back