Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inventory using SMS 2.0 (Hardware and Software)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmackl

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2001
US
We are starting to deploy SMS 2.0, this will replace our Tally Net Census/TS.Census Product. In Net Census, once the data base was updated by the scheduled scan - we could
querry the data base for any software product. Can this be done with SMS 2.0? How do we collect everything on the PC so we can verify we are compliant with all the software loaded on the pc's. Example - I would like to see how many copies of DOOM are in the data base and on what pc's - does SMS 2.0 have a automatic product recognition data base that looks for software and reports it back to the central database? Then I can run a report asking do I have Doom, or do I have Word 1.0 or do I have IE 4.0, etc..... It seems we need to tell it prior to the scan - what to look for?

Can anyone provide a good deployment plan for collecting data and how often to schedule this information - how to look for new products?

Does SMS 2.0 Scan Servers - Would it be the same as doing a pc desktop scan?

Duplicate ID - In Tally Net Census - we would get duplicate data if a re-image was done on a pc. Our work around is to copy a hidden file out prior to the re-image and overlay it once the re-image was completed - then do a scan on demand and update the central database - Does SMS 2.0 have a hidden file that can be copied? If so what is it?

Can we do a scan on demand for a pc? or does it have to be
scheduled?

When is the next relase out? I hear that major improvements have been made with SMS 2.0 vs. SMS 1.0

I'm trying to bash SMS 2.0 or Tally - I just would like to quickly get up to speed on SMS 2.0 - We are a Microsoft first shop and I have no choice in products.

Any information would be apprecitated - Thanks!!
jim.mackley@nwa.com

Sorry - That should read NOT bash:
I'm NOT trying to bash SMS 2.0 or Tally - I just would like to quickly get up to speed on SMS 2.0 - We are a Microsoft first shop and I have no choice in products.

SMS 2.0 inventories every .exe on all clients, including the header information (Manufacturer, Application Name, Version, etc.) if it exists. By default, SMS inventories the client every 7 days, but you can configure it to whatever frequency you desire. There are a number of ways to extract the hardware and software inventory info...through SMS queries, Crystal Reports, an Access front end, through the free SMS Web Reporting tool, etc. In fact, I have used all of these methods at one time or another.

Care must be taken to not duplicate the SMS unique ID from one machine to another. If you are creating images for deployment/repair purposes, make sure the SMS client is not installed on the image. Microsoft has a white paper on managing duplicate ID's.

Service Pack 3 is the latest release.

Yes, you can force a client inventory outside of the regularly scheduled cycle.

Tom Thaden
thadents@usano.ksc.nasa.gov

to be frank i dont know what sms is but am aware of what it can deliver . me as an asp programmer i never used it but would be pleased if someone helps me out .
i am expecting answers for
1) where Sms scripts are Executed
2) hardware needed
3) basic sms scripting
4) how data is sent to mobile phone

i 've succesfully done following projects and will be helpful to you in web programming

1 htttp://2 3 4 5 (to be scratched soon becoz of financials)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back