Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inventory only works for one slots at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.

tookawhile

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2005
GB
I have 20 tape autoloader and I'm having problems running the inventory.

When I select 1 slot and run inventory it works fine, if I select multiple slots it still does one at a time, so, I think I'm doing something wrong, I so select the drive this time (gives me the inventory option) thinking maybe that is where I'm going wrong, but no luck, still just does one tape then stops. Next I try selecting slots, still the same - the only way I have found that I can get it to work on all the tapes is to select each tape individually, one at a time - what am I doing wrong?

How many drive are in the 20 slot library?

2 drives - but 1 drive is off-line as we haven't not got the library expansion license.

Devices list the following for tape drive

HP1
|
|
Quantum1 -- on-line
|
|
Quantum2 -- off-line
|
|
Slots

All options where I can select inventory I have tried, e.g. HP1 and slots....you don't get an inventory option for the drives.

The particular model of autoloader (HP StorEdge L20) is not on the Veritas compatability list, but very near model are asn Veritas seemed to load drivers up for it.

If you have one drive disabled then the library is physically only going to be able to pull a tape from 1 slot and place it into the drive at one time to inventory and read it. If you want to inventory the whole library in one shot in one job then right click on hp1 and inventory

I tried running inventory by right clicking on HP1,just did the 1 tape, this is with the 2nd drive disabled though. If I enable drive 2 it works initially, then I get a library expansion warning saying I need to purchase an another license - I thought I could just disable the one drive and Veritas would see it as 1 drive autoloader and inventory would work as if you had 1 drive connected.

Well, after running inventory on each slot one at a time (the only way it seems to work)I have managed to dump my 600GB to 15 tapes.

I'm coming to the conclusion that this particular autoloader is just not compatible with BackpExec

It's a good thing to know that one job will only use one tape. So if you have one big backup job that runs for hours you should break it into two parts. That is how you can use two tape drives at once. I had that issue too, and then I seperated the backup job and then they ran at the same time. Also check to see if you have the license applied to the second drive too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back