Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invalid TLV Record error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxfordfire

Programmer
Jul 13, 2004
US
I've got a VB6 app that runs a crystal report (10.0) linked to an Acess 2000 database. It works fine! I copied the project, changed the report name to run a different report & I get the subject error. All this is being done on the same machine. Any ideas???

Did you find a solution to your problem. I have exactly the same setup (VB6/CR10/Access 2000) and exactly the same error. I've been searching round the net, but not found a solution that is applicable.

The only issues I had is that I downloaded the .msm Windows Installer Merge modules from the Business Objects website and used those (in my eval copy of "Advanced Installer") When running the resultant install I got a few errors registering certain .DLLs, and indeed if I try to do it manually (e.g. crqe.dll) that fails also.

Rob

No solution yet. Still working on it as time permits. Really wierd deal. I open up CR & refresh the data & it shows up fine. Only get the TLV error when running the VB app.

I think I might be narrowing in on something. My failure to register crqe.dll is due to other missing dependancies that do not appear in the .msm files I downloaded. I dot a copy of the latest Dependancy walker and this has confirmed that on my target (test) machine I don't have a file called cxlibw-1-6.dll In addition it has missing files dbghelp.dll and etc-1-0-12-1.dll I'm going to try manually adding those to the install and try again. (In the meantime I've got to get the kids to bed !)

Then there is just the unresolved issue of why I get another error on my Win98 machine (Te TLV is on NT4)

Ho hum.

Cheers

Rob

Yup. Adding those 3 .dlls to my install did the trick. I can now preview the report on my NT machine Whoo-hoo.

Rob
PS. And the kids are nearly asleep as well.

Don't have kids to put to sleep, but time for me to call it a day. Will look some more tomorrow & see if I'm in the same boat as you.

Thx, OxfordFire...........

I had the same problem with a VB6/CR10/SQL Server 2000 app. Adding those three dlls to my installation package also corrected the error I was getting. Thanks for the help!!

Andy

PMFJI but I would guess it was the 3 dlls referred to in my earlier post:

cxlibw-1-6.dll, dbghelp.dll and etc-1-0-12-1.dll

Rob

Rob, all 3 dlls are installed. But,check this out. I have 1 vb6 app running a CR v9 report. It works fine. My vb6 app running a CR10 report doesn't; gets the TLV error. Just for the hell of it, I copied the v9 report & saved it as a v10 one. It bombs with the same error!!! Changed back to the v9 report & it continues to run fine. Any ideas??????

Dunno mate. I've only been using CR10. What I did was to download the Merge Modules (.msm files) from the Crystal website. I can't remember the exact address, but the file was called cr10_rdc_merge_modules.zip (and its 38Mb!) Then I used a tool called Advanced Installer (which creates Windows Installer .msi type installs) and used this to install:

a) My app
b) The .msm files for the rdcruntime and reportengine
c) The additional 3 dlls

After that it all worked. However, the target machine already had vb6/sp5 and a fairly recent MDAC install. When I produce an install to a "virgin" machine I'll have to add all that VB/MDAC stuff. (Making the eventual install *very* big for a fairly limited bit of functionality)

Rob

I just had to add the three dll's (cxlibw-1-6.dll, dbghelp.dll and etc-1-0-12-1.dll) to the Package and Deployment Wizard that I used to create the install package. I didn't have to use the merge modules at all. The only thing I did was unistall the old app and then reinstall the new version. I think if you don't unistall first, there may be an issue with file versions for CR. That's what was recommended in the info I found.

Hope it helps

Andy

etc-1-0-12-1.dll is the only file we can't find on the hard drive. Where do you find or get this file?

I am in the same boat as those above described. VB6 w/SP6, converted reports from CR7 to CR10, etc. We have done everything we can. This is the last straw before we have to call Business Object Support.

Deafbug,

My copy of the etc-1-0-12-1.dll file was in my C:\WINDOWS\System32 directory. The file is only 93kb so it could be downloaded (from Crystal) or sent to you easy enough.

Thanks to you all, since I had the same Invalid TLV record problems, and the same 3 dlls packaged into my VB 6 app (cxlibw-1-6.dll, dbghelp.dll and etc-1-0-12-1.dll) worked wonders!!! My app is now running like it should.

css1015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back