Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INVALID SYSTEM DISK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wullie

Programmer
Mar 17, 2001
GB
My friend has an old hewlett packard pc he uses for office utilities. He was running windows 98, then decided to upgrade to Millenium.
He deleted some files,(he doesn`t know if any were system files), then rebooted ready to install millenium.
For some reason when the computer rebooted it gave the message, "INVALID SYSTEM DISK, PLEASE REPLACE THE DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY".
He did not get to install millenium.
The computer will now not boot past this message.
There is no disk in any drive.
I tried putting the Windows 98 disk in again, but same message appears. I can get onto setup options but do not know much about computers, so i don`t understand most of the options.
I do not have a startup disk but i can get hold of one for another type of computer, Would this work?
I am totally stuck as to what to do.
Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

start clean if are going to winMe get a disk 98 or me (make sure you can get all the me drvier 1st)andif the bios does not support boot from cd then make a 98 or me boot disk by go on to a computer that has a working os and then right click on my computer go down pro. click on it then go to windows disk and creat system disk So long and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks for the promp advice. It is my friends computer so i will not be able to try your tips until tommorow.
I do not know much about computers so i have a question if you don`t mind.
How do i install clean?
The problem is if the startup disk doesn`t work i will be stuck at the bootup screen with the invalid system disk message. If possible, how do i install clean from there?

Format a disk on same version of windows 98 as your friends.

-If formatting in DOS use the /s switch to make a system disk, ie - format a: /s

-If formatting in Windows, make sure tick in "Copy System Files"

Copy a file called "SYS.COM" from your drive to the floppy disk. Should be in c:\windows\command. Use "FIND" if you are not familiar with directories.

Place the disk into your friends pc and let it bootup. At the "A:>" type "SYS c:" and press return. You should get a message that system files have been transfered. Take disk out and reboot.

System should be restored. You may need to type WIN at the "C:>" to load windows, depends on how much damage was done on file removal.

Proz Zee

When I started up my computer in the Morning the other day a message came up saying. Invalid System disk replace the disk and then press any key. There wasn't a disk at all in the computer and I don't know what to do. I've read what was written and I'll will used this computer I am using now to make me a boot disk. And try that what should I do if this don't work. Thanks so much for the help and I believe this will. I'll let you know tomorrow it's my bedtime now for work. I missed my computer

Boot your computer, go into the CMOS and make sure your boot order is set to boot from the A:> drive (floppy) first. If it is not, you will always get the Invalid Disk message. Once you can boot to the Boot Floppy, SYS the c: drive using the "sys c:" command.

~~Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back