Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invalid System Disk 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hksoftware

Technical User
Feb 13, 2003
GB
My power supply recently died, and I think it took the Hard disk with it.
I can't get to any of the data on the disk, even using it as a slave in another PC.
When powered up, you can hear the drive clicking, and a friend said it sounds like it can't read it's MBR.
Is there any way I can restore it's MBR and access my data or if it comes to it, get the disk working but formatted?

Any help much appreciated.

Is the disk being recognised by the bios when you load it as slave? (you did change its jumpers to slave, and set the machine to auto detect slave drive?). Look on POST screen when machine is booting up.

If it is, then no reason why it shouldn't be visible from the operating system (I can't see how power failure would do anything to JUST the mbr, btw). But you can write a new MBR (if disk is being seen in bios & spinning up), by booting from win98 boot floppy (with problem drive as master or only drive) and typing fdisk /mbr at a: prompt.

Is the Drive just making a Clicking sound or is it spinning.If it is just clicking,sounds like the Drive CRASHED

you want to try fixing the MBR ? ...
Put in your boot disk at the A prompt type :

fdisk MBR

then hit enter.

there are supposed to be two copy's of this tiny file , the second copy is a backup incase the one that starts the HDD gets corrupted ,the "fdisk MBR" just takes the second one and copies to onto the corupted file. of course if this doesnt put it back to normal then thats not your problem ,G L

i feel dumb , i didnt read "WOLLUF"s post he gave the right answer..way to go Wolluf

A corrupted Master Boot Record should not keep you from being able to access your the data as long as you are booting from another drive. Travis McGuire
CCNA, Network+, A+

When bios is set to auto-detect it, the POST waits a good 20-30 seconds before skipping it, thinking no drive is connected.
The disk is spinning inside, and it is making a clicking sound, louder as usual i think, as though the read/write arm is flying fully side to side, although i cannot be sure.

Well,
Someone hip to the problem.Did it crash or was the problem fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back