Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invalid page fault in VBE6.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynea

Programmer
Jul 11, 2000
US
Just installed Office 2000 Premium, full version, and converted a small, simple database from Access 97. I have a macro which runs a code module to import some ASCII text files into Access tables. I get some kind of error (doesn't give me ANY message) which opens the code debugger window. If I then try to do ANYTHING - type into the immediate window, select text to copy, whatever - I get the message "MSACCESS has caused an invalid page fault in module VBE6.dll". I have loaded the Office SP2 and SR1 updates, and the Jet engine SP5, and also done a "repair Office installation" and I keep getting the same message. Any suggestions?

If I were you, I'd try creating a new database and importing everything into it (be sure to click the Advanced button and check the Import/Export Specs box). There's a pretty good chance you'll convert this fatal error into a compile-time or runtime error. Rick Sprague

Thanks. That seemed to solve that problem - but now I get a "type mismatch" when I try to use the OpenRecordset method, even though I've added a reference to the DAO 3.6 Object Library. Whatever happened to backwards compatibility???

Wayne, did you figure it out yet? I imagine you got a "type mismatch" error because you didn't remove the ADO library from the References dialog. If you need ADO in the application, you'll have to prefix Dims of DAO objects with "DAO.". For example, Dim rst As DAO.Recordset.

If you don't need ADO, just remove it from the References dialog and that should fix your problem. Rick Sprague

Yes, I got it figured out - you're right, the prefix was the problem, and since I was opening a separate instance of the database, I had to use the prefix for the database type as well. I didn't realize that I needed this, and I didn't find it anywhere in the Access help text. I ended up buying F. Scott Barker's book on Power Programming for Access 2000 and found the solution in about 2 minutes after spending hours searching the Access help. All the examples I found looked exactly like what I was doing to begin with. As far as the invalid page fault, I created a new database in 2000 and imported over all the members, and that fixed that problem, as well.
Thanks for the help. I can see I'm gonna have to spend some down time (LOL) with the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back