Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invalid FAT32 stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

caudalie

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
US
hello everyone, i posted here earlier about some harddrive issues and someone told me that my hardrive has died, and so i got a new one. Anyways i pluged it in and put in the windows 98 startup disk and i let it handle it's business till these messages popped up.

"windows 98 has detected that drive c does not contain a valid FAT / FAT 32 partion, here are some several causes.

1. drive needs to be partitioned, to create run FDISK through MS-DOS

"i tried that, it was very confusing, mainly cause i don't know what to do"

2. third party partiion software.

3. has viruses.

A:\>

- thanks guys

thanks, i followed the directions and installed windows 98...
but there is still a problem.

okay, i ran the installation process and everything seems to be going well, it installs all the files and stuff like that and then it makes the system restart automatically. So i let it handle it's business and then the screen comes back, i enter the CD-KEY and then the second half of the installation begins, it starts detecting PLUG-N-PLAY stuff, 1%-100% it takes a while but yeah it's working, then after that it automatically restarts in 15 seconds. so it reboots, and the windows 98 screen comes on, loading loading loading, and the screen goes black with a blinking
icon " _ " that thing it's just blinking on the top left of the screen and then my system makes this LOOONNG

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

after getting a headache from it, i reset the system, then the screen comes up, safemode,normal, etc etc. i press normal, and then scan disk comes up and scans for errors, the windows 98 screen comes and then black screen with that icon, and the beeeeeeepppppppppp.

so i restart, and i choose safemode, and suprisingly IT BOOTS UP!? and windows is asking me to set the display properties, but since i'm in safemode i cannnot install anything so i press apply and restart my system as i'm told and then back to the windows 98 logo and then the black screen with the long

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppp

whats going on here????

help me guys!

How big is the drive? My Win 98 machine could not handle the size of a modern drive.

umm the hardrive is... 40 GB roughly.
but it's 38gb if you want the exact size.
soo you think that the HD is too big for windows 98SE?

if thats so, then damn that sucks alot.

The drive size shouldn't be a problem. On bootup, look in BIOS setup and see what size the hard drive is shown. AS for your problem, download and run "memtest86". A long beep is usually an indication of a memory problem.

hmm a memory problem?

maybe, maybe not cause if i connect another HD that has windows 98 in it "the original one that died"

[a previous thread i started about formating hardrive looking for allocation tables message came up and someone told me that the HD basically died]

windows 98 works and loads up without the beeeeeppppp.

maybe i connected somthing wrong or somthing has to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back