Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invalid Boot.ini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfredol

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
VE
I use XP pro on a Toshiba portable Satellite Pro 4600 P3 that worked fine until I loaded FS-2004, I think; since then, when I start, on a black screen, it reads momentarily "invalid boot.ini loading from C: windows", and it starts up OK.- I have gone back on System REstores for a while with no results. I reloaded the latest Flash Bios from Toshiba, with no results. Can anyone tell me what to do? or should I just reload Windows XP? It actually it does not bother me as is, however I am under the impression that it may come a time where startup won't be possible.
Thanks
Alfredo

See if you can there are any oddities in the boot.ini file by right-clicking My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, and edit the boot.ini in the top box. With a single hard disk drive, yours should look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Thank you, it worked fine, and no more messages....after I fixed it, a friend of mine came by and directed me to the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 330184, which is a lot longer process than what you suggested. Thanks once again
Alfredo
PS the only difference between you list and mine is the timeout=20 instead of 30, but I left it as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back