Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

intuity to Modular messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

letman2

Technical User
Mar 15, 2007
US
We have intuity 5.0 and are thinking of moving to Modular Messaging. How hard is this and is this a good move. we have 11000 mailboxs. We are running CM 4.0 on the phone side.

I have heard nothing good about Modular Messaging. I don't use it and still use Intuity. I haven't made the change and I get support for my Intuity from an outside source since Avaya is not willing to support it anymore. Modular Messaging is serious headache from what I have heard from techs and users alike. Avaya is good at selling their bad "upgrades" and I have many friends in this industry that have made the change and regreted it. You don't need it nor do you need to change. Avaya WILL sucumb to your needs I have found and if they don't I simply tell them to take a hike!! If you need help on the support side I am willing to give advice.

letman2, I am in the same boat with you on this one. We are too looking into MM and going away from our R5 Intuity. I have heard the same stories from others about MM as techma1 has posted. The first I heard about it from a technical perspective, "It was junk".. But I have hearing within this last year they are finally about to make it a stable platform. Not sure how many software upgrades that took.

As far as easy of migration, I am not sure. I do know that the R5 I have uses the optical diskettes and the translations can be easily transfered to a server platform using a MOST tool. This converts it from the optical diskette to a USB. So I would not think it too bad to do.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

The primary complaints about early MM were implementation related. The first 2 releases were difficult to install, but once implemented the platform was stable. Another issue was that not many technicians were trained or experienced on it.

Release 3 cleaned up many of the implementation gotchas, and many more techs have gotten up to speed on the product. It's in Release 5 now and is a very solid product.

I think a lot of the bad rap came from techs who didn't want to learn something new. They are the same ones who didn't want to learn CM and IP.

You're asking for trouble relying on a 10 year old voicemail system. At some point you won't be able to get parts.

I'm ex Avaya...getting ready to migrate a bunch of Intuity's and Unity's to a centralized MM. I ain't skeered.

Our MM implementation was a complete disaster. It started as an H.323 integration that every other day all our ports would lock up. We had Avaya and the BP rebuild both MAS servers on a Thursday night and the problem still happened. We had Avaya technicians just sitting here babysitting onsite for a month along with the BP while avaya tier whatever were scouring logs and after a few months discovered there was an issue with the H.323 code and led us to convert to QSIG/DS1 which solved our issue. We are on r3 and going to the latest sometime this year as several hotfixes and patches by Avaya are a direct result of our company complaints. Has anyone in particular noticed the speed-up/slow-down issue using the Audix TUI. If you notice there is a signifigant difference between how it works there and on the Aria TUI. Aside from that I don't get how they use windows boxes for MAS and Unix for MN and MSS..

Thanks for the replys. Avaya marketing got back to us and we were informed we would have to go to CMM because we are DOD. Is this good, bad or worse. I have not heard much about CMM.

CMM's interface looks just like Modular Messaging, but the platform is built on the old IA770, I just upgraded a CM 5.1.2 system on an S8300C to CM 5.2, and the IA770 converted very nicely to a CMM system. I don't think you will have many issues... The CMM you will probably be getting is the one that runs as a standalone system on an S85XX system (probably a Dell 1950 at this point, also known as the S8510)

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

We installed a large multi-site implementation of Modular Messaging. It has been nothing but a headach from day one. Avaya support has been NO help. All they want to do is collect logs and think about the problem. They decided we were not going to buy any thing else, so support closed our tickets and walked away. Telephone and email messages are being ignored by Avaya support and management.

Think very hard before looking at this terrible product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back