Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Introducing 10/100/1000 switch to network

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorrscan

Technical User
Feb 16, 2007
IE
Hi,

We are looking at introducing a new CISCO switch to our network. We currently have 4 x 3com 10/100 switches connecting 40+ users and 7 servers as well as a pix and DMZ, we want to replace one of the 48 port 3com with a decent CISCO.

My boss suggested a 48 port 10/100/1000 CISCO switch, I have been looking at the 2960 models but don't think we need this much. I would like to suggest an 8 port 10/100/1000 2960 for the servers and then perhaps a 24 or 48 port 10/100 2960 to service the rest. Does anyone have experience of this setup? Would there be any major compatibility problems with the existing setup that would need to be addressed?

Many Thanks,

Running Cisco and 3Com together should work without any problems, as long as you are familar with VLAN configurations and trunking on both brands. As for the switch selection the 2960 would not be a bad choice.

Thanks Guys,

Yes we will have a requirement for IP phones over the next year or so but I imgaine we would need another switch for this? We would prob be looking at 40 phones max.

If we did go for the configuration above, would I connect the 8 port 2960 10/100/1000 to the 1GB uplink on the 2960 10/100? And daisy chain the rest of the 3coms into a secong uplink on the 2960 10/100/1000?

Thanks Again,

I would look at the 3750 with PoE for your phones.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

So would you go with a CISCO VOIP system as opposed to say Avaya?

Everyone has there own preferences , you have to look at features , support, cost of said support which can be high with Cisco gear etc... Many corporations run Avaya phones...

Avaya is fine, but I am not familiar with PoE switches they may have. I really like the 3750, especially of the super fast backplane speed when stacking them.

Burt

I'm going to go against the folks on this Cisco forum.. I would check out HP switches.. Cisco 3750's are way overpriced, you can purchase an HP switch with similar features for 1/2 to 1/3 the price..

BuckWeet

Sorry I just have an issue with purchasing a switch from a PC manufacture over a switch from a company that excels in making network equipment... but hey thats just my opinion

Like MrNick0483 said, you get what you pay for...

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Well, the HP ProCurve switches do have a lifetime warranty...if you don't need to stack them, it may be a better choice for him. I do like Cisco over everything else, as far as networking equipment goes, so there is a valid argument for both sides...

Burt

HP makes more products then you think they do.. HP is not just a PC manufacturer, most people just think that.

My company has just completed a RFP for some new top of rack switches that included HP, Nortel, Juniper and Cisco.. If it wasn't for features such as stacking and BGP support, we would have chose HP. The cost alone is huge, we could pickup a HP 3500 switch with advanced license for 4k and the 3750-E switch with the same specs was over 12K. While buying a few isn't that big of deal, but we are looking to deploy thousands of them. It adds up, hugely.. The performance was identical. We had to eliminate Juniper from the decision due to new product bugs, but plan to re-evaluate them in the future. I won't even comment on Nortel.

The HP switches are very nicely built, ton of features for the money, lifetime warranty, lower cost, no maintenance fee, easy to use (much like Cisco IOS), etc...

I'm just trying to point out that Cisco is not always the best product, in fact they are hardly ever the best. They are just the best at offering an end to end solution for a company. And also the industry statement "No one gets fired for chosing Cisco" It sounds like you might be stepping down your choice based on a cost factor, so why not look else wheres besides Cisco?

Just my two cents..

BuckWeet

Thanks for all your commnets, can anyone suggest a VOIP system for our telesales dept of 40+ users?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back