Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intro to Telecom training material

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelcoMan769

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2004
US
Does anyone know wher I might find some training material for telecom (i.e. Meridian, general telecom, etc). I have been tasked with training a newbie.

input/outguide 3 volumes, sofware feature guide 3 volumes, that should keep him busy for a week or so. As far as cards and the copper side of the world, no one has ever written a decent guide for the pbx world. things like the difference between a t1 and a pri just get passed down by word of month.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks John. Do you have any resources for general telecom? (i.e. wiring standards, basic telecom 101)

none, when i learned basic telcom, we still had cranks on the side of the phone.. i don't even know if we offer that school to new hires.. you can check with global knowledge, if a class is being offered, they are doing it.. some of their classes are web based and priced withen reason.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

There are a few courses from Global that is basic telecom.
I had to come up with my own for my newbie

Thanks everyone. Like John (and probably most of us), I learned under the baptism by fire method. "Just go fix it" RTFM as you go. I am trying to cross-train our network engineer so at least I am ahead of the game with the fact that he is already a 'techie'. Thanks again for the advice.

'techie' might work, as long as he's not a data geek, i also work on the cisco side from time to time, those people are never going to learn their color code.. lol .. also agree , reading to book helps, but the basic day to day copper to the 7 floor type stuff, just not a book out there. maybe i'll write a color code for dummies faq

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back