Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intro to PL/SQL Certification Exam question - DECODE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxfyre

Programmer
Mar 12, 2001
US
Can anyone tell me how much detail the exam goes into on DECODE?

I took the PL/SQL exam about a month ago and, to tell the truth, I don't remember any questions about decode at all. That doesn't mean there weren't any. As it happened I passed the exam easily, so there wasn't much incentive to try to remember specific questions for future review.

In general, you shouldn't spend large amounts of time trying to master the intricate details of specific commands. The exam is on a much higher level than that. There never seemed to be more than a question or two on any given subject area. To me it seemed that they weren't trying to trip up the exam takers on specific syntax. Instead they wanted us to demonstrate a broad range of knowledge in a variety of different subjects.

Hi,

I agree with karluk's overall premise of demonstrating a broad range
of knowledge, but disagree with this specific point. Decode was
certainly on my exam, and is pointed out in Oracle's study guide as
something that will be on the exam. Spend a couple of minutes and
learn it's functionality - it's useful tool to know and will likely be on
the test.

Bob Bob Lowell
ljspop@yahoo.com

It is imperative that you cover all areas outlined in the CERTIFICATION CHECKLIST provided by Oracle. The worst thing is missing out by one point because you couldn't be bothered covering all aspects of the exam.

You are correct in saying that you will not be tested on everything, but having covered all aspects will guarantee you will sit the exam with great probability of passing it.

Oracle also provide practice exams which should be used before sitting the actual. These are free and obtainable from their website.

All the best Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back