Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intrinsically Safe Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipolmans

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2013
CA
Afternoon everyone,

I have a job I'm bidding on for installing cabling for Wireless Access Points in a Dev 1 Class 1 environment and I have no idea what considerations I need to be aware of with respect to the need for intrinsically safe cabling/jacks/faceplates/patch cords.

The AP's are being provided by the customer and I didn't want to ask if the cabling needed to be Intrinsically safe so as to not seem like I don't know what I'm doing but my assumption is that the device is what needs to be intrinsically safe, not so much the cabling.

Can anyone confirm?

Customer requested we install Cat6a for all their AP's vs standard Cat6 for all their normal office drops, does the Cat6a provide the intrinsically safe rating?

We're also installing a fibre feed in the dev 1 class 1 environment, does this need to be instrinsically safe as well? I'm assuming there is no chance of a spark being produced from Fibre communications but want to be sure.

Please let me know if anyone can shed some light on this for me and if you have any questions.

Thanks in advance!

...and as stated: "...but be sure to check the Code language to make sure you get it right." I would also add the AHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back