Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

intrasite Replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray88

Technical User
Jan 19, 2004
CH
Replication can occur at several levels:
Within a domain
Within a site (intrasite)
Between sites

my question is:
is replication within a site (with serveral domains belonging to a tree) the same replication as the replication within a single domain ? that means, all DCs replicate automatically from the root domain to its parentdomains....??!!!

thx lat@swissonline.ch

Only the domain controllers belonging to the same domain will replicate between each other completely. Only certain data partitions of the AD forest are replicated to other parts of the forest such as the schema partition and global catalog. The configuration partition does not replicate anywhere else (the part which contains the AD user/computer database).
However because a 2 way transitive trust is set up throughout the forest anybody can log on anywhere regardless of which domain they are a member of.

Hope this helps

Red

lets ask the other way around: I have a parent and its child domain. How does the replication work between parent and child ?????????
thanks for your help

Exactly the same.
It is just the schema and global catalog etc that are replicated. If the parent wants to know anything else about the child it just queries one of the child domain's DCs as the child trusts the parent. It doesn't need to replicate everything.

ok i got this, coulnd find nowhere an answer on that nor in books nor on the web.....
may i ask u one more thing about this.
now i decide that this child domain resides in its own site. that means parent is one site and child is one site. the link between the sites is fast (LAN)
i ve setting up a configuration like this just for testing reasons (intersite replication, bridgehead config and so on...) somehow it didnt work as expected....
does the child domain respectivly a site always have to be in seperate Subnet?

thanks for sharing your knowledge
good night
ray, switzerland

If people from one child domain do not often need to log onto the parent domain then you won't need any sites set up, just make sure DNS is working properly so that the child knows where the parent is etc. Replication across the LAN shouldn't casue a problem.
If you want people to be able to log on to both domains at both sites then you should use sites. Yes have the 2 sites on different subnets, this is a requirement for sites but you should also have a DC belonging to each domain at each site and use these as bridgehead servers.
There are loads of possible ways to achieve this and no correct way. Everybody's needs are different.
I would recomend reading Mastering Active Directory published by Sybex.

Good luck

thx for your answers and that link
its really helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back