Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intranet website help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNUprogrammer1

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2006
US
I am trying to make an intranet site for my office that can be hosted on a workstation; is this possible? We currently have an "official" internal website that is located on our Windows 2000/Exchange Server..... I was thinking if I assign my workstation a static IP maybe I could go somewhere from there. Thanks alot for any help.

Should be possible, take a look at Apache. And you shouldn't need a static address, as long as machines on your network keep a consistent name. If the name is associated with your DHCP address, then you will need a static IP.

pansophic

Thanks alot, it's a Windows environment, I was just going to use IIS unless Apache is a better option. I have used xampp before.

I've never tried IIS on a workstation before. I know that Windows limits simultaneous access for SMB connections on the workstation class, not sure about what it will do with IIS. I have heard that Apache on XP will allow you to exceed the 10 simultaneous connection limit.

Besides, I'm just not a Windows fan, or IIS for that matter.

pansophic

Well then I might just be inclined to load Apache on an XP box .... It doesn't have to be Windows, I have quite a few retired PCs sitting around waiting to be resurrected.....

Of course you can. install IIS 5 from the original Windows 2000 CD on the target Windows 2000 machine.

There are several scenarios for providing clients with your address. One way is through the use of WINS server (software) on your network.

If you are running an Exchange server you can run WINS on that network. Your administrator would have to make the entries for your machine in WINS. The other option is to get your administrator to assign your machine a static IP address. Then send everyone a lively (stock) e-mail that includes that IP address (as a link perhaps).

There are other ways to do a lot of things but I highly suggest using IIS for your office intranet; and dependent on the number of users you anticipate you should have decent success using a desktop for such purposes. [pc3]

Further questions? See the OS Help file.

Amiel Summers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back