Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intranet Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscouser3

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
US
I will be starting an Intranet site for my company (for example: company.com) so we registered for internal.company.com as the domain. The ip address internally and externally are setup on IIS and the Cisco Firewall. The issue that I am experiencing is accessing the web page for internal.company.com (I have placed an index.htm in the web folder to test) which results in a "The page cannot be displayed" error.

I tried to ping the domain name and ip address but they result in a timed out. Pinging the domain name does translate it to the ip address correctly though. Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this issue?

You can check to see if IIS is running by logging in locally on the web server and pointing your browser to

In the IIS Manager all the other websites are running and accessible except for internal.company.com

The page cannot be displayed" is the default "friendly" error page ... look at it carefully and see if you can determine the real error code, if not then turn off friendly errors in the advanced configuration of the browser.

Also you can prevent the server from sending friendly script errors by clicking on the button labelded "Configuration" on the Home Directory tab of the web site properties dialog.

Also make sure the IP address of your new site is set up on the "Web Site" tab of the properties dialog.

Thanks for the suggestions. I double checked the recommended settings and they are correct. Do you think I should narrow it down to the domain registar company's side? It looks like internally I have set the ip in IIS and firewall. The DNS cache lists the internal ip going to the correct domain name. Strange.

I'm curious how long it takes to access the intranet page for those who have setup an intranet website. It's been about 2 days since registering for the sub-domain name.

I read something that it might take a week or two for the subdomain delegation? (not sure if this applies in my case)

First thing is to make sure that the IIS is working properly by browsing directly to the IP address.

This will allow you to check the configuration of IIS independant of DNS updates.

Sheco,

I browsed based by the ip address as you recommended and it results in "The Page Cannot be Displayed". Other websites that we host work fine. Hmmm... I thought after setting up a website in IIS, it will work with the DNS server to update the ip address and domain name? Thanks again for your help!

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, Sheco. It appears that the ip address was not properly configured in the TCP/IP to use DNS. Once this was added, it worked like a charm.

I guess I should have used 'ipconfig' on the IIS server to check the website connections that are running. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back