Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intranet...message notifiction.! pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forri

Programmer
Oct 29, 2003
MT
Hi all

I'm building an intranet and was asked if its possible that a particular user sends a message which will pop-up (message box) on every pc which is connected on the intranet!

Is it possible? we used to do it using the dos's NET SEND but on from the server to the users i have no idea!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
nick

You could do this assuming that all intranet users would have the intranet website open. They could "poll" (in a hidden frame) a server every X seconds and if there is a message to show, trigger a popup window with the message contents. This is not ideal for many reasons (including the extra traffic it would be unneccesarily spreading around your intranet).

To do this properly you would need to look at some kind of client program that would be installed on each computer. I have no idea if anything is already available to do this.

Jeff

Ah! Thanks Jeff

I would like to make installations...i would prefer it to be hardware indepentent meaning that they can access it from any computer with ay platform!

I like the idea of the frame. Will check!

Thanks again

any more ideas would be much..very much appreciated

Nick

I understand you can not do a net send from the intranet server for some reason? Cause if you can you can always make your php-scripts execute a net send

i can but i'm afraid of displaying messages to those who do not have access to the intranet!

I'll have to chek with the administrator.but as i know it thats the fact!

Thanks

Ah I understand. Well I don't know who has access to the Intranet? Is access only possible from a certain section of the network, or only to certain users?

You could keep a database of all the systems to send a message to with net send.

The problem with the other suggested method is that people who close their intranet browser won't get the message. I assume instant delivery is desired, and not just when ppl open the intranet for the first time after the message has been submitted?

Yes you're perfectly right! the problem with keeping the systems in the database is that i the user access the intranet from a more remote location then he will not receive the message!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back