Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intranet Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidGloves

ISP
Jun 10, 2001
US
Hiya folks,

Lets say, I have windows 2k advanced server with active directory installed but nothing else. And lets say i have a user E.X. theguywhocanfireme@mydomain.com who wants to logon and manage the server from his home. My question is, how can i setup dial-up access to the server, and more importantly how can i filter PC's so that his is only allowed through. If he was dialing up to his ISP, using an IP address assigned by an ISP that might make it easier, But he just wants to dial-up directly to the server. And is there a way i can allow access to our LAN and T1 connectivity to him?

Try buying a license of PCAnywhere. It can work wonders for you. :)

Well, let me count the ways... You can install a modem in the server and through Routing and Remote Access, you can set it up as a dial-in server, give him permission to dial in and you can restrict it any which way you care to (group policy, time, calling number, etc.) OR you could install Terminal Services in Remote Administration Mode and he could manage the server from anywhere in the world via the internet. This could also be controlled in various ways. PC Anywhere is also a solution but putting PC Anywhere on a 2000 server is like putting an extra steering wheel on a car...
As far as getting detailed instructions on how to do any of it, see support.microsoft.com

agreed on the PCAnywhere....i was working with a nut over in LA who installed PCA8 on NT5AS box ..... thought it was a bit nutty to say the least...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back