Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InterVLAN Routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdragun

MIS
Jan 28, 2003
US
Do you need to setup seperate networks when routing between vlans? VLAN 11 has ip of 10.1.11.1 and VLAN 12 has ip of 10.1.12.1. I setup 10.1.101.1 on a port on switch A and 10.1.101.2 on a port on switch B. Now if i setup VLAN 13 with ip 10.1.13.1, I would need to add an ip of 10.1.101.3 on Switch C. Is this the correct way to do this or is there an easier way?

Maybe it is just me.. but your ip numbering makes no sense. Could you explain what the network looks like and what kind of hardware you are using?..

For intervlan routing you need a router.

InDenial

Oh ok...well let me ask this question instead what is the easiest way to setup InterVLAN routing? I have 3 Catalyst 4503's.

I want VLAN's 1,11,12,13 to be able to all talk to each other. I setup 1 trunk port on each switch. Do i need to set aside another port on each switch for routing?

For vlan routing you need to have a routing module in the 4503.

If you have that then you need to create vlan interfaces 10,11 and 13 (1 is default and is already there I think).

The interfaces wich connect the 4503 to eachother should be trunk ports (802.1q).

then.. the ports that have the users connected to it should be set to access ports and put in the desired vlan for that user.

InDenial

That is what i have set up. I have EIGRP setup on one of the switches. I have the other switches ip default gateway pointing to this switch.

setup:
trunk trunk
[SwitchA]--------------[SwitchB]-----------[SwitchC]
vlan1:10.1.1.1 vlan1:10.1.1.2 vlan1:10.1.1.3
Eigrp:10.0.0.0 gateway:10.1.1.1 gateway:10.1.1.1
vtp: server vtp:server vtp:client
vlan11:10.1.11.1
vlan12:10.1.12.1
vlan13:10.1.13.1

I can ping from a laptop from VLAN 11 (switchA) to VLAN12 (switchB) no problem.
However i cannot ping from switchC to vlan11 or 12 but i can ping 10.1.1.2.

Do I need to setup EIGRP on all the switches?

Alright, Now i think i have it setup correctly. I can ping any device on VLAN 11, 12, and 13 on any switch.

I know that VLAN 1 is a management VLAN, but what is the rule of thumb regarding this VLAN? Would you setup servers on vlan 1 or do you just keep the switches on vlan 1 and put the servers on another vlan. I ask because devices on VLAN 1 can ping any other device on any other vlan, but no device can ping anything on vlan 1. Is this the way its supposed to work?

Are you using trunking of any type (ie - 802.1q)???

Tagging on Egress?
Tagging on Ingress (not normally required)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back