Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InterVlan routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Can the Catalyst 4006 + SupEngineIII perform InterVlan routig?

The most the Supervisor III can do is MLS, but this still only works with a routing device. EG Catalyst Route switch module or Cisco 2500,2600, 450 etc.
I can't find any info on a Supervisor that can route!

The 4006 with Sup III and /or IV can perform Inter VLAN routing. That is its amin capability. You can more bang for the buck out of the Sup IV engine.

The Sup IV will do Layer 3 routing. As far as I know the Sup III does not. You need to install the Layer 3 Services Module WS-X4232-L3 to make your 4006 a Layer 3 switch without the Sup IV.

No, the SUP III and SUP IV can do Layer 3 stock. SUP II needs the layer 3 blade to do layer 3 capabilities..

BuckWeet

BuckWeet is correct. The Sup III will do interVLAN routing. If you have a choice, go for the Sup IV. I think it's actually slightly cheaper and performs slightly better.

1. Sup III (which I have) does InterVLAN routing (I'm running over 20 VLANs on it, routing using EIGRP), in fact , it does almost any type of L3 routing, as well as multicast routing (I'm running PIM in sparse-dense mode)
2. Sup III and IV have the same performance specs, the main difference is that Sup IV supports a second "failover" Sup IV engine in Cat4507 chassis.

If you have the money, definitely go for Sup IV, and mostly, try to get the 4500 chassis rather than the 4000.

You can do MLS on the 4000 SUP II if you have a router that can do MLS, I think the 2600 can do MLS, but you need the IP Plus software and a fast ethernet port..

BuckWeet

still confused -
do the 4000 Sup III - or the SUP IV support MLS without an external router or router blade ?

The Cisco 4006 can perform MLS, the switch has its own internal routing module built into the Supervisor engine.

On Sup III or IV in 4000 chassis MLS is called CEF (Cisco Express Forwarding), so you won't find any reference to MLS in the command line.

And it's turned on by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back