Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interpreting the switch messages 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max5Pier

MIS
May 21, 2003
CA
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the statistics provided by my Cat. 2950 switch and I get some messages that I simply don't undestand. I checked on the web without success, and here I am on the Tek Tips Forum...

Does anyone know where I can find the meaning and, most important, the cause of these few messages:

- False Carrier Errors
- Single Collisions
- Excessive Collisions
- Late Collisions
- Watchdog
- Input Errors

Thanks.

Max.

Input errors are summary errors. Then it gets broken down.

Collisions are when the switch detects a collision of packets being sent and received at the same time in a half-duplex environment.

Late collisions are collisions that took a long time to be detected.

Watchdogs are timers that monitor an interface or system, and normally either reset a bad interface/system or log that.

Excession collisions = bad news... You should never have excessive collisions unless you are in a pure hub enviroment.

It sounds like the port you are plugged into has a hub attached to it, or a misconfigured NIC.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know of a web site where I can get the whole explanation ?

One last thing, could misconfigured speed & duplex generate collisions ? I know that this type of problem generates some CRCs and Deffered errors but does it cause collisions too ?

Thanks

Yes... incorrect duplex settings can cause collisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back