Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

djl7780

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2003
US
Alright guys need some help, Boss comes to me and says there is word of a couple users searching "bad site" on the web during work, How can I track this activity? I am running windows 2000, and win xp on most machines. Users login via Novell, and I have Cisco pix 515 and a cisco 1721 router. Any help would be great!

Dustin Landry
IT Manager CCNA, MCP

Sorry, but...try a Google search first.
Two combos "internet monitoring" and "monitor internet activity" and you get over 4 million hits.

It will depend on what LAN setup you have and how much time / effort / money you're prepared to invest.

VNC allows you to monitor in real time every action a user performs on the screen. You basically get to remotely view the users screen.

Proxy servers can record what sites are accessed. Some routers also log what sites are hit by what LAN IP address.

Googling "vnc" and "proxy server" in addition to carr's suggestion will give you plenty of information about how to achieve your goal.

One recommendation: warn your users first, in writing.
This is also a legal requirement in some countries.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

your in luck as they say, try looking for KIWI syslog. unless things have changed its FREE. i have a 2000 server box and a pix 515 as you do and it will work fine.

in logs all traffic via ip and tells you what user ip is going when and where.

if you want do get right done to pulling teeth on a bad employee load vnc its free or get a copy of pcanywhere and you monitor there desktop from home or work. and if all else fails put a keylogger on their machine for a day or two print it out and show them the door. keylogging can get you in seroius trouble so use at your own risk.

we have more than 300 users in my company, we had same problem before, then we bought websense software and now we have control. No body can go any wrong/unwanted websites. You can download it for trial and if its perfect for you then you can buy it, but its realy fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back