Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet sites in the registry? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi

Does the registry keep track of internet sites visited in the past? Are there any other locations where such information is stored?

Thanks

Pete

the only places they are kept are in the history folder,
to delete, right-click on the Internet Explorer on your
desktop, Properties, in there click on delete history.
You can also delete the tmp files and cookies, found on
your C: just do a search for them.
Also if you are on Exchange server, you will have to delete
the temperary internet files on the server too....but on
the server there is no history record so you are allright
there.... Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

~KeyTech

You can also access and delete URLs that you've typed into the address box by running REGEDIT and navigating to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

I think ponce hit it on the nose! James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

There are a few more places where they seem to persist. I've found remnants even after clearing the history and temporary internet files through Windows.

If you restart in MS dos mode, and go to cookies or temporary internet files, you'll probably find that index.dat remains in each directory. It can be deleted from those locations.

You will also probaly find plenty of free/shareware 'cleanup' applications on the Internet, which might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back