Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Sharing using Dial-Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomi2000

ISP
Feb 15, 2001
CA
Dear
I have win2k prof on which i used my dial-up i have a server on which win2k advanced server installed and 2 other clients using win2k prof ...i have DHCP installed ,,now i want to know how i can enable internet-sharing through dialup so all of other PCs in network can use it?
Thanks and Regards
Nouman

Open 'Network and Dial-up Connections' on the master machine (the one with the modem). Right click your Dialup connection to your ISP and click Properties. Take the Sharing tab and tick the 'Enable Internet Sharing for this Connection' (tick the 'Enable on-demand Dialing' if you want that option), Ok that.

On the Client machines. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools, Internet Options then the Connections tab. Make sure the 'Never dial a connection' is selected. Click the 'LAN Setting' button and then tick the 'Automatically Detect Settings'. Don't both using the Proxy settings.

That should allow Internet Sharing for your network. New Zealand, a great place to visit.

Just an addendum - you say you have DHCP installed. When you share the modem, that machine will act as DHCP server (it will set its network card to IP address 192.168.0.1 and assign IP addresses to other machines on network set to pick up address automatically). If you have another machine acting as DHCP server currently, you may want to disable that.

thanks darrangul and wolluf
yes wolluf thats the problem, which i think might be ...actualy i have DHCP server installed and the modem is on one of the client machine tell me how can i disable DHCP Server? does i have to enabled it back once i disconnect from the internet? i don;t knwo how to do this? please let me know
Thnaks again & Regards
Nouman

Nouman,

As an alternative, you could run a proxy on the system with the modem. Then setting up the other computers to use the net would be pretty simple (if all you're using is Web, FTP, and email).

One free proxy I've seen can be found here:

I've never used it myself, (I'm running on a DSL connection shared through a NAT router here at work and at home) but I've had problems trying to get ICS to work at times, and this would be a simpler solution.

On the bad side, I don't know how stuff like Internet games would work. You would have to try and see.

Good Luck,
Nicholas Istre

P.S. There are other goodies on . Just look around.

Dear Nicholas
Thnaks i will look into it Lets see if it works for DHCP case,i have used WINGATE but its not working properly with DHCP so i want to know if thru ICS (Internet COnnction) i can share it .Lets see is i can get some ans on it
Thanks again
Regards
Nouman

Just something to add. I set this up at home and when you go to LAN Settings, clear 'Automatically Detect Settings'. Mine would display 'Page cannot be displayed', but this was because it takes time log into ISP. Give it a few seconds and refresh.

tpugil

The proxy server at Analogx works very well (used to use it) - needs some configuring for email. On the DHCP server - you should be able to disable the service on your W2k server (haven't use 2k server much - but presume you can do this from admin tools/component services like in Pro). If you set up ICS using the W2k pro machine with the modem, you won't need the DHCP server on the W2k server machine as Pro machine will now be providing IP addresses for your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back