Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet sharing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assimilate

Technical User
Oct 7, 2001
GB
Im extremely confused here.

I have xp on two machines which are networked. My computer (A) is connected via broadband to ntl and the other computer (B) is connected to mine. I can see computer (B) from (A) and vica verca.

For some reason i cannot connect to computer (B) from (A) but i can connect from (A) to (B). Also internet sharing doesnt work.

I have 2 network cards in computer (A) and 1 in (B). All cards have been assigned IP's by DHCP. I have norton firewall which has the IP of the NIC connecting computer (A) to (B) and the NIC of computer (B) as trusted IP addresses.

Why cant i connect to the internet using computer (B), and why cant i access computer (B) through (A) even though i have created the same accounts on each computer?

Please help

First, are you using simple file sharing or is it disabled? And do the user accounts have passwords? "For some reason i cannot connect to computer (B) from (A) but i can connect from (A) to (B)." - check your wording here, it's not working one way, but which? What's the error when you can't connect?

Regarding ICS, make sure XP's firewall is not enabled on the LAN-side network connection- View Network Connections, right click on the LAN connection, Properties, Advanced tab, uncheck Protect my computer...

Assimilate,

Just a quick idea which you may have overlooked. Do you have the DNS servers of NTL (I setup a wireless network sharing NTL and this is what happened with me) placed in the DNS servers options box of the Network card in the "Wanting to use but cant" PC.

If not type ipconfig /all at a command prompt to get them and put both primary and secondary servers in.

If this was helpful, please let it be known

CBradshaw

hi guys thanks for reading.

Smah, i mean that i can connect from (B) to (A) but not vica versa.

i am using internet sharing that is provided by xp, and the user accounts have passwords. Each user account has the same passwords on both machines. I have disabled the XP firewall as i have heard it causes problems.

Cbradshaw, i will try and set up the dns servers and specify specific ip addresses and see what happens. I just want to make sure that the NIC connecting to the internet is meant to be shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back