Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet sharing Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmb

Technical User
Dec 17, 2001
GB
i've been givern the task to network sevral computers together. They all have NIC's and i've connected them together, currently their sharing the printer sucessfully. question is that 1 pc has net access via isdn. i tried to use that comp as a proxy server for net access for the other machines, i entered internet settings,

set connection through LAN on proxy server located at 10.10.10.212 - the info is correct - but the computer comes up with server /DNs error when connecting.

is there something else i shoud be doing to use that pc as a proxy server?? any tips would be apreciated.

thanks in advance

Parm

How is the isdn connected to the pc?
Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

The ISDN line is connectewd through a USB port, i think.

Parm

I do not think that a proxy server is the answer here. If I were you I would install a ISDN router on the network and route the gateways of your pc's to the router. The printer will work and this gives the isdn access to all pc
's Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

First if you need to share the internet connection & have control over it , install a proxy server like sambar enter the dns setup on the proxy server , and on the client pc give the address of the proxy server, note the proxy server
should only have the gateway to the internet router, or you can setup 2 nics on a pc with windows nt installed ,enable ip routing and connect the router's ethernet port to the second nic of the pc.

delete the dns route (.) from ur proxy server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back