Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet on Workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ic1frosty

Technical User
May 25, 2003
GB
Hi.Got another one for you

My Win2k server has an internet connection and want workstations on the network to be able to use the internet via the server.Would be grateful for advice on how to do this.

You could use ICS(internet connection sharing). ICS is a NAT based routing application, designed to share an Internet connection among multiple computers connected via a LAN.

what kind of internet connection is it?
(dial-up, dsl, t1, etc) ?

Breakerfall
®º°¨¨°º can you ping me now...GOOD! º°¨¨°º®

Its a dial up connection. Cant ping you at the minute Im at work.

ic1frosty,

i would go with kev01's advise on this on.

ICS will make your server or workstation act as a router. for some reason you have to configure a Network Connection (Thru Network and Dialup Connections > Make a new connection). Go thru the wizard and note the following:

1. On step 1 of 3: Internet account connection information (where you enter the ISP phone number on a modem connection) click button Advanced and type the ISP DNS server address - although just about all ISPs auto provide an IP address for you, not all auto configure your DNS settings.

2. On the final step uncheck the box 'To connect to the Internet immediately, select this box and then click Finish' and then click Finish.

For some reason you must first crerate the dial-up object then modify its properties to share its connection, so:

right click on the new dialup object and in properties applet, Sharing tab check 'enable Internet Connection Sharing for this connection'. when the 'On Demand dialing' section is enabled check 'Enable on-demand dialing'. This will tell your gateway to dial out whenever anyone on the network requests the Internet.

Once you did that try pinging outside world from a client.

You may get a message about static/auto obtained IP addresses. Just click OK. I think you need to auto obtain if you arent already making the server a DHCP server too.

Hope this all helps

Paul Dobbing
(Gloucester, UK)

It is not advisable to run ICS on a W2K server that is is also running DNS server. My advise would be to buy an analouge 56K router.

NAT would be better for dial up for you can configure dial on demand to actually fit your needs...

hth

bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back