Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxPacific

Programmer
Jun 22, 2001
US
Hi All,

I have a Windows XP computer that doesn't want to connect to the internet. I've called RoadRunner and determined that the problem isn't with them (hooked up my laptop and it worked just fine). When I do an IPConfig the domain suffix which should read hawaii.rr.com is blank the ip address is 169.254.96.147 and the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0. It is setup to retrieve an IP from the DHCP but this does not seem to be happening. I've also checked to make sure the DHCP and DNS clients are running under Admin Tools -> Services. Any idea what is going on?

Aloha,

James

Hi,
Do you have it set to "automatically receive IP address and DNS server names"?
Are you running any firewalls?
Are you using a diall up connection or an always on one?

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

First, make sure all your hardware is functioning properly - network card, modem & the ethernet cable. Next, try this tool faq779-4625

Setup to automatically receive IP address and DNS server names; no firewalls; always on connection. I'm going to try and swap nic and cable today. I'll also try the tool.

Aloha,

James

Actually, I just noticed "hooked up my laptop and it worked just fine" from your first post. If that was using the same cable, that means that your hardware is good to that point.

You also could go into device manager and uninstall the nic card then reinstall that sometimes fixs nic problems.

The utility I downloaded from FAQ779-4625 was exactly what I needed. After running the utility I reset the modem and rebooted it worked perfectly. Thank you very much this one had me up against the ropes.

Aloha,

James

Glad it worked. Be sure to thank the author of the FAQ by rating it accordingly.

Hey Smah,

Thanks for reminding me. Will do!

BCastner,

Thanks for the extremely helpful FAQ. I was about ready to reinstall win xp.

Aloha,

James

That little utility has save many, many reinstallations.

Happy Holidays,
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back