Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet not connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbytech

Technical User
Jun 22, 2005
US
I hope this is the right forum. I have Ubuntu Linux 20.04 install on my desktop. Every night I shut down and power off the desktop(at night). When I power -on the next day or next session my internet network does not appear or connect. What is causing this to happen? When you power on a system everything usually connects automatically. I don't known too much about Ubuntu software.

*Something* appears to be changing your network settings. I'm no Linux expert myself, but I have gotten bitten by problems like this.

In my particular case (on Debian), LLDP kept forcing some of my PC's into DHCP mode and putting them on the wrong VLAN. The LLDP was ignoring the static IP settings I'd put in. After I ran this command: systemctl start stop-lldpd, it all behaved properly. In newer versions of Debian, LLDP is enabled by default, which is why this never was a problem before.

So my recommendation would be to see what's getting changed on your network settings and try to figure out why.

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4 & V6, OpenScape Xpressions V7, OpenScape Contact Center V8, OpenScape Voice V9

In addition to LoPath's thoughts, there can also be occasional incompatibilities with WIFI radio hardware drivers. I had similar symptoms on a laptop running Windows 10 and Ubuntu...however the issue was with the Windows side after a bad Win10 update/patch. For a week or two I could only use WIFI in Ubuntu, until another Win10 update/patch was released.

If you get a chance to get Ubuntu online, make sure your first step is to run any system updates to grab any recently corrected drivers. You may also check your hardware manufacturer's web site for any available driver updates.

Hi

Also on Ubuntu, also having network problem after each restart. With slightly different circumstances, as using a desktop machine unaffected by Wi-Fi and no Windows around.

In my case the solution is to run [tt]dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf[/tt] after each restart. The reason is still a mystery for me.

Feherke.
feherke.github.io

This sounds v similar to issues I had with my dads laptop a few years ago, the os was choosing to use the wrong network interface driver.

when I blacklisted the driver that was being chossedn for the network interface the OS was then able to get the correct one & everything sprang to life.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

I had also encountered a similar problem a few months earlier with my hp computer when the OS chose the wrong network interface driver. At the time, I was running Debian Buster.
I had to block the network interface driver. After a reboot, the OS was able to find the proper one and everything went back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back